S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

PRM install pix

Old 11-12-2002, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be checking the horn for abrasion marks to see how much movement it is experiencing, but I suspect that a bracket is really not needed as long as enough clearance is allowed for some movement without banging into its surroundings.

As for performance, it's hard to tell. My initial impression is that the throttle response is a fraction more crisp/responsive. Power-wise, it feels ever-so-slightly stronger in the upper half of the RPM range.

I will qualify that statement by stating that despite having been around cars a long time, I'm not all that confident about my ability to tell 8~10 rwhp (5% increase in power).

Back when I used to frequent the strips (dragstrips, that is), I learned quickly to stop guessing whether a run was good or not based on "feel", and deferred to the timeslip... reason being, other then the "quality" of the launch, I really couldn't tell if a specific mod yielded an extra few tenth or whatever by the butt-dyno... only the timeslip (or dyno) told the story. If I can't tell a few tenth at the strips, I'm not even going to pretend to definitively tell a possible 5% increase in power.

People often mistaken the resultant increase in decibels (along with the lightening of the wallet) for a mod with the increase in power. To give you an example, my wife swears the car is a lot faster... and her statement prior to that observation was the fact that the car is a lot louder. Now, while 8~10rwhp will make your car a tiny bit faster, we all know that it should never be mistaken for "a lot" faster. Having said that, the car sure does SOUND a lot faster!

The tone is a lot deeper, and the pulses tight. Part throttle seems to yield only a slight increase over the oem intake throughout. Crack open the throttle though, and the non-vtec range of the rpm will sound like a deeper version of the pre-PRM-intake vtec song. Hit vtec, and all hell breaks loose. Every time you bang through the gears, the intake crescendo makes an angry run at the rev-limiter... a sort of mechanical primordial scream... very nice WOT music.

Stephen
'02 Suzuka

past toys:
'98 Eclipse GSX - BPU winter/offroad drifter
'94 Supra Single Turbo - T04R, 600+ RWHP
'94 Miata T3/T4 Turbo - 380RWHP
Old 11-13-2002, 07:41 AM

just reading that makes me want to order one right away! i think i'm gonna order one today... thanks for the scoop!

s2kz
'01 yellow, zaino'ed
Old 11-13-2002, 10:26 AM

When is somebody going to make a "real" CAI that you don't
have to modify something on it to make it fit right?

Hundreds of dollars and you still have to fabicate you own
bracket???

Yeah!, I want to order one "right away"!!!!............NOT.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Banger
[B]When is somebody going to make a "real" CAI that you don't
have to modify something on it to make it fit right?

Hundreds of dollars and you still have to fabicate you own
Old 11-13-2002, 11:54 AM

I really don't think a bracket is necessary. As long as you align the intake accordingly to allow for proper clearance, you'll be fine. The structure is designed to work without a bracket. PRM doesn't advise using a bracket.

I just happen to have one handy, and am using it more as a guide to keep the horn in a general proximity than for the purpose of securing it. If you will notice, the bracket is not attached to the horn. The crescent shaped arm merely approximates a general position.

Here's an excerpt from a previous post regarding this subject:

"The proper way to stabilize the filter is always to secure it so that its position relative to the motor is static. That way, when the motor is "torqued" from acceleration and decelleration in its motormounts, the filter can twist with the motor. The other way is to design the intake so that flex is allowed between the motor-end and the chasis-secured-filter-end of the intake system

By securing the PRM to the chasis as some people have done, one end of the intake is being tweaked with the motor while the other end is being held in place by chasis brace. This runs the potential of stressing the intake itself, which can result in cracked pipes or torn connectors.

If you notice, almost all oem intakes are secured to the chasis, and the path to the motor end of the intake will include a flex section, whether it'd be an actual design element or due to the material of composition. Because the PRM intake runner does not deform under stress, something else has got to give.

Of course, this is a general rule of thumb for any application. It may be that specific to the S2000, the amount of rotation caused by the motor isn't enough to cause any harm."

Stephen
'02 Suzuka

past toys:
'98 Eclipse GSX - BPU winter/offroad drifter
'94 Supra Single Turbo - T04R, 600+ RWHP
'94 Miata T3/T4 Turbo - 380RWHP
Old 11-13-2002, 01:07 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2koolzaino
[B]

I think you should go out driving with your "teammates", they're calling you.
Old 11-16-2002, 03:32 PM

My install Pix..........

Old 11-16-2002, 08:58 PM

wtf is that? i never seen it b4....
Old 11-16-2002, 09:17 PM

I think these look great and it 'sounds' like they provide some measure of performance improvement. Now the $1mm question...has anyone done before/after dynos? Also does anyone in So Cal have the PRM?
Old 11-19-2002, 06:49 PM

How does that compare with AEM? I've heard a lot of good stuff about them.

Quick Reply: PRM install pix