S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

PRM install pix

Old 11-12-2002, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PRM install pix

Here are some pix of my PRM install...

Home-brewed bracket was installed to keep the horn from coming into contact with its surroundings. Notice that the filter-housing is actually not secured to the cresent-shaped bracket arm. This allows for some movement of the filter relative to the bracket when the engine rotates from acceleration and decelleration. Securing the filter firmly to the chasis could stress the silicone connectors and/or filter element. As an interim solution, I've applied elec tape to the (thin) aluminium horn and bracket (with a shot of lithium grease in between) in order to shield the aluminium horn from abrasion with the metal bracket. I'll probably end up buying a set of jam nuts so that I can secure the cresent shaped arm to the horn, and have it rotate freely about the bracket's verticle support. I was able to rotate the factory mounting point (which my bracket is bolted to) toward the front of the car for a better fit. IIRC, the bracket comes with HKS filters... it was left over from when I swapped out the HKS filter of the T04R kit (Supra) for another filter.

Detach the large hose from the hose-retention clip and re-route it to the otherside of the AC line. This will give the hose more slack. I've shielded it from the AC line with a piece of blue silicone.

Since the factory vacuum runner was bypassed, I capped off both ends in order to protect it... just in case I ever go back to stock... (yeah right).

Stephen
'02 Suzuka

past toys:
'98 Eclipse GSX - BPU winter/offroad drifter
'94 Supra Single Turbo - T04R, 600+ RWHP
'94 Miata T3/T4 Turbo - 380RWHP (possibly for sale)
Old 11-12-2002, 06:20 AM

thats a sweet ass exhaust, how much did you pay for it? is it fully custom?

great install too - you obviously have done this kind of thing before?

s2kz
Old 11-12-2002, 06:35 AM

that's an exhaust?
looks like a custom intake to me......i knew my vision was going bad.....dam it!

by the way cool set up.....would be nice if you could squeeze a small heat shield somewhere near the front other wise

-SS2K
Old 11-12-2002, 06:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sebrings2k
[B]that's an exhaust?
looks like a custom intake to me......i knew my vision was going bad.....dam it!

by the way cool set up.....would be nice if you could squeeze a small heat shield somewhere near the front other wise
Old 11-12-2002, 07:59 AM

its not an exhaust or intake, its a cam shaft, sheez you people
Old 11-12-2002, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by TeamRedlineS2k
its not an exhaust or intake, its a cam shaft, sheez you people
I think you should go out driving with your "teammates", they're calling you.

s2kz
Old 11-12-2002, 08:47 AM

Great Job Turbo...................man, that thing looks right at home in there!!! You will get tons of comments on that
Old 11-12-2002, 11:03 AM

Why doesn't the kit come with a bracket to support the horn? This is the second install I have seen with a custom bracket. Seems like that should be included.

-YS
Old 11-12-2002, 11:34 AM

I have the PRM on my car, install was very easy. Response improvement is defintely there, in spite of the various debates about it drawing in hot air. Sound is just what I was looking for. (And no real risk of sucking in a slug of water.)

I read several posts re: a support bracket, but after talking to the guy in Canada that sells them, I was convinced it was not needed. If properly installed, it should be fine without a bracket. They run them on race cars all the time with no brackets. Key is to rotate and align the pipe/filter/horn joints so that it clears everything. Loosen a little on one, adjust it, tighten it, play around with another joint, etc. No big deal, just takes a little time.

However.... I check mine every time I rasise the hood. 3 months and about 2,000 miles, no problems so far. Doesn't rub on anything and nothing loosening up.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:48 PM

Ive never seen one like that. Its kinda cool.

Quick Reply: PRM install pix