S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Prime Oil System Before Start-UP

Old 12-13-2011, 06:26 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts
Default Prime Oil System Before Start-UP

I've had the oil pan dropped for a few days while checking the oil jet bolts and waiting to put on a new baffled pan. I think that I should prime the oil system prior to start up, a lot of oil has dripped out of the engine and I've turned it over by hand for a couple revolutions during the bolt inspection.

Any suggestions on the best way to do it once I get the engine filled with new oil ?. Should I pull some fuses so the engine doesn't start up but only turns over ?, or should I turn the engine by hand a few revolutions using the crank pulley ?. Thanks for any replies.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're filling it back up you should be fine.(Can't be any different than those who park their car for the winter) I would let the fuel pump prime though.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

push the start button a few times (don't hold it), or pull the fuel pump fuse, then hold the start button
Old 12-13-2011, 08:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a neat trick to get your engine to crank over without the need to remove any ignition components or unplug any connectors. Make a duplicate aftermarketkey from your local hardware store with the T5 chip key.

With that aftermarket key, the motor will crank over, but won't fire over due to the immobilizer system not recognizing it. Pretty neat, huh?
Old 12-14-2011, 03:44 AM

Thanks for the replies. It is somewhat similar to doing an oil change but I thought turning the engine a few revolutions by hand while doing the bolt inspection may have displaced some of the oil in the system , not sure. I thought it might not hurt to prime it up a bit before starting it up.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe this is a good time to install a pre-lube pump!

You really have nothing to worry about though. It's just like a normal oil and filter change...adding some oil to the filter (prime) before installing might help if you are really worried. But that might require some mess cleanup.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you're overanalyzing. Just start the car and drive!

It won't be any worse than when you change the oil and put a new filter on, or if the car sits for 2 months during the winter. Over a few days the big drops of oil will drip, sure, but I'll bet there is still a thin film of oil everywhere (unless you took a rag and wiped everything clean and then sprayed it with brake cleaner).

Pull the fuel pump fuse and crank it a few times (although you may have enough fuel in the lines for it to actually fire for a bit) Or like IndyMac says, get an Accusump if it is going to keep you up at night.

I've been reading some of your other posts. My suggestion is to Drive it! VTEC it! Redline it! Use the engine the way Honda designed it!
Old 12-14-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by spets
I think you're overanalyzing. Just start the car and drive!

It won't be any worse than when you change the oil and put a new filter on, or if the car sits for 2 months during the winter. Over a few days the big drops of oil will drip, sure, but I'll bet there is still a thin film of oil everywhere (unless you took a rag and wiped everything clean and then sprayed it with brake cleaner).

Pull the fuel pump fuse and crank it a few times (although you may have enough fuel in the lines for it to actually fire for a bit) Or like IndyMac says, get an Accusump if it is going to keep you up at night.

I've been reading some of your other posts. My suggestion is to Drive it! VTEC it! Redline it! Use the engine the way Honda designed it!
Yes sir! Thanks for the recommendations.