S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Preventing Soft Top Wear and Tear

Old 10-12-2013, 12:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Preventing Soft Top Wear and Tear

I was wondering if there are people using Gorilla Tape to prevent soft top tearing. I know there are a number of people who use it once it starts to rip from older threads. I know it will start peeling once the top goes up and down a few time or when it gets hot.

My concern is that the glue on the tape will show through the top. Can anyone confirm this?
And has this method been successful? Has anyone done this and still have a the top ripped?
Old 10-12-2013, 11:14 AM

buy tear aid for vinyl.

http://www.amazon.com/Tear-Aid-Repai...nyl+repair+kit
Old 10-12-2013, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried gorilla tape, if you live in a hot climate, the adhesive on the tape becomes very soft and gummy - it becomes almost impossible to clean if you decide to remove the tape. Sorry, don't have a good solution.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by ateens4
I was wondering if there are people using Gorilla Tape to prevent soft top tearing. I know there are a number of people who use it once it starts to rip from older threads. I know it will start peeling once the top goes up and down a few time or when it gets hot.

My concern is that the glue on the tape will show through the top. Can anyone confirm this?
And has this method been successful? Has anyone done this and still have a the top ripped?
Old 10-12-2013, 11:57 AM

I used contact cement and pieces of garment leather. I put this at different spots where I found wear. I applied the cement with a small paint brush. The glue does not come through the top and it holds fine in very hot weather.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by kimimila
I tried gorilla tape, if you live in a hot climate, the adhesive on the tape becomes very soft and gummy - it becomes almost impossible to clean if you decide to remove the tape. Sorry, don't have a good solution.
Thank you for the tip.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:57 AM

Best solution is to run rubber strips about 5 inches wide (cove base works perfect) from under the latches back and looped around the rear bar. Prevents the top mechanisms from touching while putting the top up/down and also prevents the latches from rubbing holes while the top is down. Search "s2000 cove base" on google and you'll find the thread...
Old 10-13-2013, 12:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just put masking tape over the plastic parts that rub when it goes up and down.

I also put asking tape internally on the roof itself, no leaks what so ever.

Doesnt leave any marks when removed either.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:53 PM

Only tear aid type B. Everything else leaves a nasty residue. Make sure to round the corners to avoid lifting.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:59 PM

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,044 Posts

To prevent tearing you need to do a couple of things.

First is to find out where sharp edges can be on the tubes and joints; they need to be ground/sanded smooth. Take your time. Lots of write ups on this part.

Get Modfry replacement elastic replacement straps.

I use a black nylon material for repairs that has a light adhesive on one side. I get it in the fabric section of Wal Mart. It is not too thick and has a smooth slippery finish on the exposed side. I cut out small pieces to fit the area that may be rubbed by the tubes. (You need to look at where that happens by opening and closing a few times)
I add 3M black accessory / weatherstrip adhesive, not much, just enough to do the job. You can get it at many auto parts stores. It flexible, black(invisible) and strong. It is possible to just use the adhesive under the backing that comes with the patch material; I just want the added permanence.

Once it is in place you really won't even see it.

Quick Reply: Preventing Soft Top Wear and Tear