S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Power steering suddenly not working

Old 09-07-2020, 03:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I am having similar issues with EPS and low voltage. I am even getting similar voltage readings.

If you all have time, could you take a look at my thread as well:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...w-ecu-1203930/
Old 09-11-2020, 06:42 PM

Member (Premium)

Received 132 Likes on 102 Posts

Here is an update on the issue. I am expecting some "I told you so" comments so bring it. I ordered another rack off ebay and I started taking things apart yesterday to do the swap. When I got the crossmember out I noticed that the passenger side tie rod boot had a tear along the top just under the frame where water most likely runs and drips from the hood run off. I took those boots off this evening and water pored out of both of them. I have not removed the rack yet but I am expecting to find more in there. I am going to finish swapping the rack tomorrow and I am hoping things work better from there. I will post an update then.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:19 PM

Member (Premium)

Received 132 Likes on 102 Posts

I swapped out the steering rack today and all is well. I had left the key in the ignition last night and the battery was drained so I had to wait for the battery to charge back up this evening. A bit more water came out of the old rack once I had it out. I found holes in both tie rod boots so it was bound to happen eventually. I am glad that I had seen the post about the torque sensor cleaning because the one that came on the replacement rack was not in good condition. If anyone is in the process of swapping their steering rack I recommend checking the torque sensor before installing the rack even if the rack looks super clean like it only has 10k miles on it as was the case with the one I got. It is much easier to remove while it's out of the car. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.