S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Power steering issues!

Old 10-17-2011, 07:50 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

After changing pretty much every component of the power steering system, mine wasa faulty connector plug on the torque sensor

If I touched the plug, the steering moved and tripped the EPS light.

All sorted now.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill check that. But I never get the eps light.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:03 PM

So fat what I've done is chanegd over to a good EPS, and that didn't have any effect. Then did the torque sensor reset procedure, that too didn't work. Used a paperclip, and got the EPS error 14, and followed the manual to check all connections from the torque sensor to the EPS unit were all ok, and they were. Finally, the manual led me to source a 'good EPS' so I tried another one, still the same problem. Im gonna have a crack at changing the actual rack and see how that goes
Old 10-18-2011, 06:23 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd change the torque sensor itself first, rather than the rack. The rack isn't an easy job in comparisson!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:54 PM

Lol, Ive dont this already, sorry forgot to mention. Going thru the manual, had to check if the torque sensor was ok anyway, and the replacement that I had for it was fine, and so was the original. So ive eliminated the EPS and torque sensor. All thats left I woudl assume is the rack
Old 10-26-2011, 07:58 PM

Dont change the rack trust mee!!!!!! power steering not working is a electrical problem not a mechanical, i changed the rack also and it did not fix the problem seriously look into all the wiring components for the power steering most likely this is the culprit. I finally came to the conclusion i have a faulty connector plug on the torque sensor just like MB did i had the same problems as he did and also changed everything out except all the wiring/plug. Unless you hoped a curb and bent the steering rack dont change ittt!!!!! let us know if you get it fixed seems over the years alot of people are starting to have power steering issues
Old 10-26-2011, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My power steering acts up in cold weather, had my friend plug it up to an EPS reader at Honda and it said that the voltage was low. Maybe cleaning the connector would work?? Now that it is warm for the past few days it has been fine but still acting funny during start up
Old 10-26-2011, 09:08 PM

^ sounds like my issue. I just noticed a lot of corrosion on my positive battery terminal. Anyone think that could cause it? I've cleaned it a few months ago but keeps coming back =\
Old 10-26-2011, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright just did a little something and it's working so far

1. Undo the negative battery terminal, give it some time before working on it.
2. I have a cold air intake so it was easy to locate the torque sensor plug, once you've identified it, pull it off
3. You will notice a lot of dirt and debris around the plug, do your best NOT to get it in the contacts of the plug
4. Use electric connector cleaner and spray the male and female side of the connectors, now allow to dry
5. Plug back in, press firmly, make sure there is no movement
6. Hook the negative battery terminal back up, start the car without moving the steering wheel and let idle for 5 minutes

After that I drove it around for 10 minutes and everything seems normal for now, lets hope it stays this way
Old 10-27-2011, 06:04 AM

Awesome. I will do this today. Thank you. Can you give a more spesific location of this plug please? I would search but I can't right now.

Quick Reply: Power steering issues!