S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Power steering issues!

Old 01-23-2014, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well. The first time I couldn't get rid of the codes. So I wouldn't save. So I swapped the eps module. Now there was a new code 14. I'm thinking that was on old code maybe from when I switched the module. I cleared that code and did the relearn procedure, but this time I did it using the pgm computer thing. Come to find out we did that wrong.
So I'm going to try it again with the jumper tomorrow on my lunch break.

Your advice and success gives me hope!! Thank you
Old 01-24-2014, 04:00 AM

Ok. I can't seem to do the learn procedure. My eps light never goes off if the key is on. With or without the wire jump. But it goes off if I start the car.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:00 AM

I finally got the relearn to work. I went through it all and it saved it. Bad part us it didn't fix anything. :/
I guess the next step is to replace the TS
Old 02-04-2014, 09:10 AM

hey d_spec, what did you replace the eps module with? i'm thinking that is my next step. however, it for sure is an electric part, and me shooting with digital cameras, rule number one, don't buy used electrical equipment. i'm seeing great deals on eps modules, but they are off wrecks, which probably isn't a good thing. also, i drive an '02, here's one off an '03, jeez, won't the same thing happen? buying a used electric component that is over 10 years old? sadly, for me i have to spend like 6 or 7 hundred bucks for a new ap1 eps module, if only because i just don't want to go down this road again for a while, and i want it to be sure to work. used part is around 150-200$, new it's a lot more. all the people i talk to say if youre getting rid of it, put the used part in, but i want to keep this car forever. like the steering rack, it has an updated part number from honda, suggesting product improvement.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Danfotoman
hey d_spec, what did you replace the eps module with? i'm thinking that is my next step. however, it for sure is an electric part, and me shooting with digital cameras, rule number one, don't buy used electrical equipment. i'm seeing great deals on eps modules, but they are off wrecks, which probably isn't a good thing. also, i drive an '02, here's one off an '03, jeez, won't the same thing happen? buying a used electric component that is over 10 years old? sadly, for me i have to spend like 6 or 7 hundred bucks for a new ap1 eps module, if only because i just don't want to go down this road again for a while, and i want it to be sure to work. used part is around 150-200$, new it's a lot more. all the people i talk to say if youre getting rid of it, put the used part in, but i want to keep this car forever. like the steering rack, it has an updated part number from honda, suggesting product improvement.
The module I bought was used. I tested it in another ap1 and had zero issues.
Further into my hunt. The new codes I had (14). That was a new code I can only assume it was stored on the newer EPS module. I cleared the codes with a big fancy computer my friend brought home from his work (Honda). I finally did the re-learn procedure correctly and made it stick. (no change)
Now I have a new code that only shows on the fancy computer. ( it dont show when jumping it) It says I have a short between the EPS module and the ECU. His mechanic guy says he's 99% positive its the torque sensor itself and that needs to be replaced. (non serviceable)
So that is my next step. A new one from Honda is 286.78.

p.s. I am also a professional photographer. I shoot cars for a living
Old 03-16-2014, 06:56 PM

forgive me taking long to feedback. if the short is eps<>ecu, then what's the torque sensor have to do with it? if the short is causing the problem, fix the short? my update: i caved and just ordered a used eps module from a wrecked s. exactly what i said i wouldn't do.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:48 AM

Same thing happened to me. I felt a slight pulsing in the steering wheel after a little abuse and then it went away. 4 min later i made a right turn and went to make a left and it would not budge. unfortunately it was a semi tight turn at my speed. i applied brakes but it wasn't enough. i went off the road and went down about 30 ft and hit a tree. lucky for me i didn't roll and my car only sustained fender and bumper damage and a few key wheel components were damaged. Maybe it was power steering? maybe something else. i don't know because its only been a week an a half since i bought it and about 4 days since this happened. i would immediately look into this and get this fixed otherwise this could wreck your S or even kill you
Old 03-19-2014, 12:30 PM

dude i am so sorry to hear that happened to your new car. it is a real real drag. i have owned this car for over 10 years, so i know the way she works pretty well.
i am surprised that honda would make the steering so vulnerable to possible catastrophic failure without car alerting the driver. there is so much of this car that is "electric", i believe they should have a better warning alert system, to warn of steering inconsistencies. i'm also surprised that the ones who know about this car so well, can only guess or use a elimination check list to resolve the issues. "it could be anything"...and it could be more than one issue, when electronics are involved.
was your car totalled? ugh. so sorry again to hear.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
I'll get one somehow.
Did you ever end up looking into this Billman?
Old 05-18-2014, 04:56 PM

Just to give an update.

Today I replaced the Torque Sensor with a new one from Honda.

My steering is perfect and seemed to fix all the issues I was having.

Quick Reply: Power steering issues!