S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Power Steering Failure = Crash

Old 03-17-2014, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interruptions to the electrical signals for torque sensor, motor power or motor position (resolver) can cause it to lock intermittently also. Check EPS motor grounds, battery ground and fuses (even screws for main relays) to make sure they're tight and not corroded.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Gottabfast
Interruptions to the electrical signals for torque sensor, motor power or motor position (resolver) can cause it to lock intermittently also. Check EPS motor grounds, battery ground and fuses (even screws for main relays) to make sure they're tight and not corroded.
Thanks! ill check on that!
Old 03-18-2014, 06:15 AM

When I bought my s2k 3 months ago, I knew it needed a new battery sooner than later(OEM battery from 2008). I had issues cranking it over on cold mornings or dying mid crank, dash lights dimming, etc. I didn't think it was a big deal until one afternoon, the power steering started pulsing and moving the wheel on its own. My dash board lit up like a Christmas tree and my head lights started flashing on and off. I made it to a parts store and had the battery checked. The battery had a dead cell. Replaced the battery and I haven't had any issues since.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:07 PM

Did you ever figure out your issue? Mine turned out to be the alternator. The new battery merely masked the issue temporarily.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2014, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by tyler_hills2k
Obviously you know everything about everything. Since you know everything I'm guessing you know that the s2000 isn't on the list of GM ignition key lock failures. You knew that right? Also since you know everything you would know that it took 303 deaths before GM finally took the defect into consideration. I haven't been able to find any other s2000 that had this problem so that's why I came here to this helpful community. I'm lucky to be alive and I'm great full for it. I just wanted to know what went wrong when I tried to turn but didn't. But you already knew that right?

-Tyler
303 deaths? What is your source on that. Based on the actual lawsuits GM is being held responsible for only 13 deaths, but there is another 74 disputed deaths as well. A far cry from 300+. In the GM recall the original ignition switch detents were not strong enough to keep the key in position with an unusual amount of keys and keychains added to the original key. So the result was the ignition would be rotated by the additional load from engine run to accessory causing the car to die and the airbags to be disabled. You would loose all power, but would still be able to steer and brake with manual control just as though you ran out of fuel. As to my knowledge there have been no complaints of this nature in the S2000 community. If I had to guess I would say either your car suffered a mechanical failure or the EPS was functioning improperly in which case you should have had an indication. Maybe the car had some issues and the previous owner knew there were EPS issues. Did the EPS light prove out when you started the car? Maybe the bulb is gone...
Old 11-10-2014, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by preludepatrick
...car and turned it on, the wheel turned itself all the way to be left lock with enough force that I couldn't really fight it. After that the EPS light went off and I had assist to the left but not the right.

I relearned the torque sensor neutral position and all has been well since then but it's definitely an eye opener
I had the exact thing happen to me this past weekend! Ironically just as I was starting the car to drive it to my friends shop to check/adjust the alignment. It wasn't even cold, I live in Florida for Pete's sake! I did back it up thinking it might be a peculiar quirk but as soon as I tried to go forward the steering wheel started jerking hard (the wheel was turned slightly), so I just parked it. I had other stuff to do, that's also when I went online and found this thread... So, what is this 'relearn the torque sensor' and how does one go about accomplishing it?

FYI, I have only had this car for about three weeks, it's my first S2000 and it has a lot of miles (180K+). After reading this thread through I was confident enough to drive the car to work today and had no 'full lock' issues but it did pulse or jerk on me a little before I left the house. Never did anything untoward after that however.

I would like to find out what I can do to get this rectified though, any help or input would be greatly appreciated.
Thx
Old 11-10-2014, 02:53 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

There is a linkage that connects the steering shaft to the rack, if that linkage is not put back together properly it can cause just what you are describing. I recall reading a thread about it, it seems like it could be a bad situation. Find the link and take a look at that linkage.

I am going to say that it is not coincidence that it was a salvage title and my bet is on a poor repair job.