S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Power Steering Failure = Crash

Old 03-15-2014, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like 0% power steering failure and 100% other mechanical issue.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:50 PM

Could it be the steering wheel lock that came on? My dad just had his ignition switch linkage break causing the lock to come on whit the car running (toyota landcruiser).
Old 03-15-2014, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by darkdream
Originally Posted by tyler_hills2k' timestamp='1394918818' post='23064526
[quote name='SkiLLeDS2000' timestamp='1394918715' post='23064521']
Failed power steering at speed is easier to control than at low speeds. While it's a harder to turn, it's still very drive able, unless you have spaghetti arms.

If the wheel locked up, then that's a different story. Do you have the service history of the car before you purchased it?
The wheel completely locked up. and no i do not have any service records other than oil changes from previous owner
By any chance was this a salvaged S2000?
[/quote]

It is a salvage but only because the right rear wheel fell off at 10 mph and damaged everything in that area. that wouldn't have anything to do with the steering wheel locking up
Old 03-15-2014, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasn't aware a sudden loss of power steering could have such a drastic effect on the steering other than requiring a little more muscle to turn the wheel--didn't know it could actually lock up at speed. I wonder if this could have been a mechanical failure of some sort instead of just loss of power steering as others mentioned above.

I hope you are able to find out the exact cause of the wheel locking up. Scary stuff, a major failure like this whether steering or braking is usually on the very back of my mind when cruising in my S2000. I've heard of a brake failure before during a tracking session that sadly took a life of another member, but this is the first time I've been made aware of a complete wheel lock up while driving. Glad you made it okay though, could have been so much worse.

I'm not sure of all the recalls to be honest, but if there is one that could lead to a wheel lockup/sudden loss of steering at speed, I have not been made aware. Someone with a better knowledge can surely give a more definitive answer.

Also, since you said it was already a salvage title, I would suspect there is a good possibility it had underlying mechanical damage that may have lead to this. This is pure speculation on my part, however, as a salvage title S2000 can simply mean it had stolen seats and a slashed top.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:34 PM

I agree, sounds like something else.
I've driven my s2000 around with no PS on purpose for a few months (pulled fuse) and it's not hard to drive/steer. I almost prefer it, besides the light on the dash.
Check front end parts like balljoints, tie-rods etc. (though it may be different now that you've slid down a bank and hit a tree).
I've seen in customers cars (non-s2000) have ball joints and tie rods be bad enough that they basically had 2 positions where they stuck so it gave the sensation of a sticking/hopping feeling from the steering wheel.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:45 PM

is there a recall for this type of thing?
Originally Posted by tyler_hills2k
The wheel completely locked up. and no i do not have any service records other than oil changes from previous owner
If the wheel did lock up there is a tiny but possible chance that the ignition switch is bad and caused the car to act as if it was in the LOCK position (haven't heard about this in S2K's though). Speaking of recalls, GM has a gigantic recall for the Cobalts and other vehicles for their ignition locking issue. Glad you're safe and hope your S makes out in good shape.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:04 AM

The EPS absolutely can lock the wheel up and even turn it on its own.

One cold morning (19F) I had to drive my S and the EPS light came on as I left my neighborhood and I lost all assist. Drove 2 miles to the gas station. When I got back into the car and turned it on, the wheel turned itself all the way to be left lock with enough force that I couldn't really fight it. After that the EPS light went off and I had assist to the left but not the right.

I relearned the torque sensor neutral position and all has been well since then but it's definitely an eye opener
Old 03-16-2014, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by drpizza
is there a recall for this type of thing?
Originally Posted by tyler_hills2k
If the wheel did lock up there is a tiny but possible chance that the ignition switch is bad and caused the car to act as if it was in the LOCK position (haven't heard about this in S2K's though). Speaking of recalls, GM has a gigantic recall for the Cobalts and other vehicles for their ignition locking issue. Glad you're safe and hope your S makes out in good shape.
thanks ill definitely look into that and see what the problem is. Im having a body shop look at it this week and i hope theres no dame on the frame because then its toast
Old 03-16-2014, 02:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The S2000 is bulletproof. Based on your questions you obviously know about the GM lawsuit. Are you a lawyer? I welcome all new members but your arrival here is more than suspicious at this particular time.

And yes this post can be used against you in a court of law.

Good luck with your lawsuit,

Utah

P.S if I am wrong my apologies.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Utah S2K
The S2000 is bulletproof. Based on your questions you obviously know about the GM lawsuit. Are you a lawyer? I welcome all new members but your arrival here is more than suspicious at this particular time.

And yes this post can be used against you in a court of law.

Good luck with your lawsuit,

Utah

P.S if I am wrong my apologies.
Obviously you know everything about everything. Since you know everything I'm guessing you know that the s2000 isn't on the list of GM ignition key lock failures. You knew that right? Also since you know everything you would know that it took 303 deaths before GM finally took the defect into consideration. I haven't been able to find any other s2000 that had this problem so that's why I came here to this helpful community. I'm lucky to be alive and I'm great full for it. I just wanted to know what went wrong when I tried to turn but didn't. But you already knew that right?

-Tyler

Quick Reply: Power Steering Failure = Crash