S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Power Steering Failure = Crash

Old 03-15-2014, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Failure = Crash

Hey ya'll! So recently i bought an 01 s2000 (6 days ago) and last night i was out driving with a few buddies out on Highway 9 in the santa cruz area and my power steering failed. At first i felt a slight pulsing when i turned left or right and then magically it went away. I thought it was just a hiccup and when it went away i didn't worry about it. About 4 min later i came out of a right hand turn going about 40mph. I attempted to make the turn for the left but the steering wheel would not budge. i was looking through the corner when i attempted to turn and the failure came as such a shock that at first i didn't realize what was going on. when i did i hit the brakes and but by then i was still going 40mph and only about 20 ft from the edge. The drop was at least a 70 degree angle down about 30 ft but i was lucky not to roll. A tree stopped me at the bottom but that ripped apart the left headlight, bumper, left quarter panel, and bent the linkages for the left front tire and pretty much everything around that area.

I have a few questions (as you might guess) as a result of what happened. Why would my power steering have failed? has this happen to anyone else? is there a recall for this type of thing?

The key did not turn to the off position. everything was still on when the car came to a stop.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the EPS light come on by any chance? I know mine will come on from time to time and it kills the power steering. Just a thought.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by mongomery1234
Did the EPS light come on by any chance? I know mine will come on from time to time and it kills the power steering. Just a thought.
no eps light came on before or after the crash
Old 03-15-2014, 12:54 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Sounds like a faulty torque sensor or connection issue.

Even without power steering the car will be completely drivable, but if the sensor is off, it will fight you and try and steer itself.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:13 PM

Received 3,765 Likes on 2,656 Posts

I've driven without power steering on my S2000 for several months and it was still very driveable, particularly at speed it wasn't too hard to steer, it only became hard in parking lot type conditions.

When it happened was it a little harder to steer, or was it that you could not steer at all ?. You may have had some other mechanical failure that prevented the car from steering.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Failed power steering at speed is easier to control than at low speeds. While it's a harder to turn, it's still very drive able, unless you have spaghetti arms.

If the wheel locked up, then that's a different story. Do you have the service history of the car before you purchased it?
Old 03-15-2014, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
I've driven without power steering on my S2000 for several months and it was still very driveable, particularly at speed it wasn't too hard to steer, it only became hard in parking lot type conditions.

When it happened was it a little harder to steer, or was it that you could not steer at all ?. You may have had some other mechanical failure that prevented the car from steering.
I could not steer at all. It felt like it was locked
Old 03-15-2014, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by SkiLLeDS2000
Failed power steering at speed is easier to control than at low speeds. While it's a harder to turn, it's still very drive able, unless you have spaghetti arms.

If the wheel locked up, then that's a different story. Do you have the service history of the car before you purchased it?
The wheel completely locked up. and no i do not have any service records other than oil changes from previous owner
Old 03-15-2014, 02:41 PM

I have driven a 5,000 lb suv with no power steering. Although it is difficult to maneuver at low speeds and to park, it is doable. At speed there is no problem at all. There must have been a mechanical issues. It might be why the previous owner wanted to get rid of the car.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by tyler_hills2k
Originally Posted by SkiLLeDS2000' timestamp='1394918715' post='23064521

The wheel completely locked up. and no i do not have any service records other than oil changes from previous owner
By any chance was this a salvaged S2000?

Quick Reply: Power Steering Failure = Crash