S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Potential Blown Motor, Thoughts/Suggestions

Old 06-04-2011, 04:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Potential Blown Motor, Thoughts/Suggestions

I am an avid fan of the S2000 and am now on my 3rd one. I originally had a 03 AP1 which I purchased new, later switched into an AP2 in 04, and had to sell my AP2 when I moved abroad for work.

Six years later, I have had an STi and a G37, but nothing would quite reach the benchmark the S2000 had created. That being said, I found an 03 AP1 with 8,660 miles one month ago, and immediately purchased it. The car still smells new inside, it was incredible. Not one blemish of any kind. In my joy and excitement, I instantly ordered a Fujitsubo Legalis-R, Toda Torquie-Kun Header, test pipe, AEM V2, and Mugen Thermostat, Fan Switch, & radiator cap. After having everything installed I ordered an AEM EMS which I was going to have tuned by Sean Church.

Today on my way to Sean's to get my tune, while cruising on the highway, I saw white smoke emitting from my tail pipes, only to discover the temp gauge was maxed out, and the oil pressure light was on (immediately followed by complete loss of power). I immediately pulled over to find the car was leaking coolant. We later saw that the thermostat housing was missing a bolt, and all the coolant had leaked out... I'm assuming it wasn't properly torqued by my mechanic which led to it coming apart... After having pulled over, I opened the engine compartment only to find white smoke coming from beneath each intake manifold runner.

Now the engine will not start, and most likely does not have compression. The oil is still topped off, and looks to be in excellent shape, but I fear for the worst.

Any thoughts or input would be very helpful. I had the car towed to Church Automotive, and they think it's most likely dead (just from having listened to it crank and based on the info I provided them).

Should it truly end up being blown, if I swap for an F22C, can I use the intake manifold and other bolt on parts from my current F20C?
Old 06-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That is tragic. Thousands of dollars down the drain for the hopes of 20 hp? Hopefully the mechanic who installed the parts has insurance. Either they didn't bleed the radiator or botched the install.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

It's my understanding that an 04 or 05 2.2L engine will take everything from the 2L. You'll need the 2.2L ECU to get the lower rpm fuel cutout and you'll want to keep the lighter flywheel from the 2L engine. The 06+ engines have the electric throttle and a lot of swap headaches.

The combination of the 2.2L engine with an AP1 transmission sucks. The AP2 transmission is geared lower and mates with the power delivery of the 2.2L engine better.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:35 PM

On top of it he's been my mechanic for 8 years now, worked on many S2000's... I'm assuming it was an honest mistake on his part, I'm just hoping he handles this situation honestly.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:36 PM

Sounds like I should stick with the F20C. That's part of the reason I got the AP1 anyways...
Old 06-04-2011, 08:11 PM

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Sounds like it's just a head gasket. If you just overheated, most likely you popped it and that's why you have no compression. If your oil looks good, the coolant didn't even leak over to it. You're largest issue will the degree of warpage (if any). If no warpage, slap a new headgssket and be back on the road.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a ap1 head fs if needed
Old 06-05-2011, 07:43 AM

I'm not the most literate when it come to internals. When you mention "wharpage", what would be component warped?
Old 06-05-2011, 11:43 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I can tell you if your car overheated as bad as it did, you can pretty much expect your head to be trash. You could try and fix it, but in all honesty theres a good chance the car will never be right. It all really depends on how hot the head got and how badly it warped.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:56 PM

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Warpage, refers to the amount of distortion from being flat the cylinder head has as a result from overheating.

Per the helms manual. If warpage

Less than 0.002 in, no resurfacing.

Between 0.002-0.008 in, then resurface.

If it's greater than that, junk the head OR you could try to resurface more depending on how much. If it's just barely more, you may get away with it, but you will HAVE to check your piston the valve clearances. This will bump up your compression a smidge as well.

Quick Reply: Potential Blown Motor, Thoughts/Suggestions