S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Post coolant flush issue

Old 06-12-2009, 07:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You noted that the problems started when you changed coolant. Therefore most likely this is the root of your problem (noty cracked block etc.). Vintage (i.e. '00 and '01's) are a bit different and the dealers are well.....dealers. So do this and it will solve your problem. I promise........

1) Set heater control dial on dash to maximum heat
2) Remove the radiator cap
3) Loosen the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator and drain
4) Remove the drain plug bolt located on the right side of the block (access is from under the car...a few inches above the block/oil pan interface between two engine mount bolts-you'll know it when you see it)
5) After the block is drained reinstall bolt using some liquid gasket on the bolt threads, and hopefully-if available, a new washer(Torque to 61 lbf.ft)
6) Tighten the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator (has wings) securely
7) Optional but recommended- Remove, drain, and reinastall the reservoir.
8) Mix or obtain 6.9 US quarts of coolant (6.9 US Quarts -includes .6 qts for reservoir)
9) Remove bleed cap (the one circled in red in Linesupers post)
10) LOOSEN bleed bolt in the intake manifold (Spitfire S diagram)
11) Fill reservoir to MAX line and fill radiator with balance of fluid (to bottom of filler neck)
12) Tighten Bleed Bolt (Spitfire S post) when fluid is running out in a steady stream--torque = 7.2 lbf.ft)
13. Tighten Bleed Cap (Linesuper red circle) when collant is running out in a steady stream.
14. With the radiator cap off- Starty the engine and let it run until it is warmed up-defined as the radiator fans have come on and gone off twice.
15. Add additional coolant to bring the level back to the bottom of the filler neck
16. Replace the radiator cap tighly and check for any leaks
17. Provide Utah a thank you PM for saving you from the "stealership"

Utah
Old 06-13-2009, 04:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very good post
Old 06-13-2009, 05:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Utah S2K,Jun 12 2009, 11:03 PM
You noted that the problems started when you changed coolant. Therefore most likely this is the root of your problem (noty cracked block etc.). Vintage (i.e. '00 and '01's) are a bit different and the dealers are well.....dealers. So do this and it will solve your problem. I promise........

1) Set heater control dial on dash to maximum heat
2) Remove the radiator cap
3) Loosen the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator and drain
4) Remove the drain plug bolt located on the right side of the block (access is from under the car...a few inches above the block/oil pan interface between two engine mount bolts-you'll know it when you see it)
5) After the block is drained reinstall bolt using some liquid gasket on the bolt threads, and hopefully-if available, a new washer(Torque to 61 lbf.ft)
6) Tighten the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator (has wings) securely
7) Optional but recommended- Remove, drain, and reinastall the reservoir.
8) Mix or obtain 6.9 US quarts of coolant (6.9 US Quarts -includes .6 qts for reservoir)
9) Remove bleed cap (the one circled in red in Linesupers post)
10) LOOSEN bleed bolt in the intake manifold (Spitfire S diagram)
11) Fill reservoir to MAX line and fill radiator with balance of fluid (to bottom of filler neck)
12) Tighten Bleed Bolt (Spitfire S post) when fluid is running out in a steady stream--torque = 7.2 lbf.ft)
13. Tighten Bleed Cap (Linesuper red circle) when collant is running out in a steady stream.
14. With the radiator cap off- Starty the engine and let it run until it is warmed up-defined as the radiator fans have come on and gone off twice.
15. Add additional coolant to bring the level back to the bottom of the filler neck
16. Replace the radiator cap tighly and check for any leaks
17. Provide Utah a thank you PM for saving you from the "stealership"

Utah
and that is how its done

Done
Old 06-16-2009, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet, thanks Utah for the step by step instructions! I'll be doin it this weekend, along with my spoon thermostat install and I'll let you know how it goes. I should have just posted here first instead of having some other idiot flush my coolant