S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Post coolant flush issue

Old 06-01-2009, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Post coolant flush issue

Had an odd thing happen to me the other day. I got my coolant flushed this past weekend, definately needed it, almost no green in there. After the job was done I notice on the way home, which is about a 15 min highway drive, that my car nearly overheated. So I shut it off and let her sit for a bit to cool down. The issue hasnt repeated since, though I havent done a highway drive since then. But I do notice from my short commute to work (about 10 min or less since I live on base), that it will warm up, then go up to 4 bars for 30 sec, then go back down. This happens once or twice on my commute. I'm full to the brim on fresh, green coolant, and I don't notice any leaks as of yet. Also btw I am running a Koyo rad if that makes a difference.
Any ideas?
Old 06-01-2009, 08:15 PM

Didn't bleed the system correctly.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:49 AM

Hmm. Sounds about right. I had to pull over twice this morning to prevent it from overheating. Sounds like I need to take it to the dealer instead.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't done anything with the coolant in my car yet but is there any chance the thermostat could be backwards? I mean even an improperly bleed system would work itself out soon enough I would think. I could see there being an air bubble in the system the first time you drove it but then once it worked out you would just need to top off the fluid. At least thats how every other car I have worked on has been, not sure if the S has a different type of system.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When the car is cold.,.remove the radiator cap and then idle it for a few minutes. As the car warms, Bubbles should rise to the top if any air is trapped in the system. I haven't done a flush on my car but it does seem that this may work.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i changed my intake manifold gasket on my si, it took quite a while to bleed it enough to get all the fluid back in.

If you drain it completely you really have to leave the cap off a while it seems to get everything to come out normal. Although i had to cap mine up a few times it seemed to get it to do what it was supposed to.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

did you mix the coolant properly, 50/50?
Old 06-02-2009, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by JackS,Jun 2 2009, 06:44 AM
When the car is cold.,.remove the radiator cap and then idle it for a few minutes. As the car warms, Bubbles should rise to the top if any air is trapped in the system. I haven't done a flush on my car but it does seem that this may work.

this should do the trick. make sure the car is COLD when you start.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:50 AM

There is an air bleed valve on the heater coolant tube on the firewall. This should be opened when flushing the system, or you will trap air in the system when you refill.

I circled the valve in red (poor choice since my car is NFR) Hope this helps with bleeding your system - I definitely think its air trapped in the system that is the problem.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:19 PM

Well I got it reflushed at the dealer on tuesday. Car worked fine in all types of driving (didnt use ac though), until today on my way back home from work it nearly overheated.

Quick Reply: Post coolant flush issue