S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

post accident repair problems.....steering skippy...please help!

Old 01-22-2015, 07:26 PM

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Default post accident repair problems.....steering skippy...please help!

Ok well i got into a minor accident. Car has been at tbe shop for about 3 weeks since i refused to accept the half assed first paint repair. That has since been fixed and when i went to pick it up today i noticed the steering wheel at idle when turned would skip through the steering sweep vs smoothly turning.

Kinda a difficult problem to explain other than the steering wheel felt as if it was skipping through the rotaition rather than smoothly spinning. Front wheels mimiced the steering wheel with its skippy motion.

I alsonoticed it vibrates more thay before at idle. Like i have solid mounts or something....what could cause this.

It was hit in the front driverside. I guess subframe was shifted and l ca bent. That was readjusted and new control arm added. Car aligned good.

Any ideas?
Old 01-23-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steering rack or inner tire rod damaged?

If the front end is jacked up so the wheels are in the air and you turn the wheel, does it skip then?
Old 01-23-2015, 01:43 PM

Guess the rack is fubar
Old 01-23-2015, 06:44 PM

Sorry to hear that

Did you find the damage?
Old 01-24-2015, 04:45 AM

Car is sfill at shop... as you know insurance doesnt want to cover what they can get away with not covering.

Got a call it was done. Went to pick it up and threw a fit as the paint was a joke

Got a second call it was done. Paint looked great and the busted up headlight replaced. Go to leave and the steering was messed up.

Waiting for my third call. They have had the car a month already. There is also much more noticable vibration at idle. It feels like my civic with the 85a urethane motor mounts... they keep ignoring it. Not to mention im being charged a "betterment fee" for the rack smh
Old 01-24-2015, 07:06 AM

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Did you pick the shop, or did you go with the shop 'certified' by the ins co?

Either way I hope learned a lesson. That shop sucks!
Old 01-24-2015, 09:13 AM

I went with the ins. Certified shop... its the fox motor group. They own like 10 major dealerships in town. One of which is the honda dealership accross the street from the collision center. If i dropped my car off at honda its the same service center and body shop they would use. So if you cant trust the honda dealer who do you trust
Old 01-24-2015, 11:21 AM

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/827324-shaky-steering/
Old 01-24-2015, 01:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Any pics of damage before it was repaired? You're looking for problems that you normally wouldn't have noticed before. I'm not saying something isn't wrong with the car but maybe you're paying more attention to every little thing.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:04 PM

I dont have any from under the car. The van hit me and my car was turning(left) and on an angle. More or less side swiped that front corner. I have no pictures underneith the car.

As for the vibration its super noticable. Prior to the accident you couldnt really feel the car running, just hear the exhaust. Now its shaking...like the rearview mirror vibrating kind of shakey

Quick Reply: post accident repair problems.....steering skippy...please help!