S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is it possible to vtec on the primary cam lobe?

Old 05-02-2002, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to vtec on the primary cam lobe?

The reason I ask is because lately I have not been able to feel or hear the vtec transition and the car does not pull like it normally does but will still climb up to red line.

About a month or so ago I replaced the MAP sensor because of an intermittant vtec problem and the car ran great and vtec was as strong as ever. The car would even vtec at partial throttle and the driveability and throttle response was awesome. The car even seemed to warm up much faster.

All of a sudden vtec appeared to be gone. I check the oil religiously and it is still full. I even tried the tap on the "new" MAP sensor and disconnected the battery to reset the computer. Still the same. Engine idles fine and does not miss.

Is it possible that the new MAP has gone bad? Iv'e checked all the connectors and everything appears to be in order. Any suggestions? If I cannot figure it out on my own I guess I will have Honda take a look at it..

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

John
Old 05-02-2002, 10:14 PM

well, probably there could be a way, but it wouldnt be efficient, because when vtec kicks in, it lets both the intake and exhaust valves open up simultaneously, and this fast flow of in and out creates that marvelous power we call "vtec." but if you put vtec on the primary cam lob, it wont create power at the top end.. where we racers enjoy it.. anyway.. about the loss of vtec
check your cat converter.
my prelude was having problems like that. i got a new tranny, and it soudned like it was going in to vtec, but no power, so i went to HONDA, they changed the cat converter saying that it got plugged up with stuff, and now it hauls ass again.
i hope that helps.
Old 05-03-2002, 03:22 AM

Damn, I wrote the title wrong. I should have asked, is it possible to go to redline without vtec? Sorry.
Old 05-03-2002, 03:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The answer is yes.
I would ask the dealer to check the Vtec solenoid for you.
I was experimenting with a piggy back device and one of the wire that controls Vtec solenoid was accidentally not wired and high cam profile would never engage.

Take it back to the dealer and they should be able to diagnos and find out if something is not working properly.