S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Possible valves got loose while driving

Old 02-02-2016, 01:26 PM

Received 422 Likes on 386 Posts

That looks very very bad !!!
Old 02-03-2016, 06:31 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Those lock nuts dont require alot of torque. Did you do the order correctly when adjusting the valves?
Old 02-03-2016, 08:08 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iamxpL
Those lock nuts dont require alot of torque. Did you do the order correctly when adjusting the valves?
Yeah, followed a diy on here and went 1,4,3,2
Old 02-03-2016, 08:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by windhund116
"Don't think you're reading right again. I set the valve clearances about 1,000 miles ago. I checked all 16 of them 2-3 times after all was done and verified they were all on the looser side while still being WITHIN spec. I'm thinking maybe i torqued down the locknuts incorrectly... I'm having it towed to the shop tomorrow morning."

Just to be sure... after you adjusted the valves (1,000 miles ago) --- the adjustment screws looked like this?

https://i.imgur.com/WJph7Q0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vKtXb0E.jpg

Because, I highly doubt they tightened up, on their own --- in 1,000 miles of driving.
correction: they did NOT look like that when the adjustment was done, they all looked normal. after this happened, i opened the valve cover to look and i believe the valves were sinking in because they still looked normal but had TONS of clearance and play. in order for the valves to be closer to where they should be i had to adjust the adjuster screw that far in to where the lock nut was almost falling off (because the valve was sitting lower than it should). again when the adjustment was done everything looked how it should
Old 02-03-2016, 08:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Originally Posted by weekendwarrior44' timestamp='1454444662' post='23869593
[quote name='s2000Junky' timestamp='1454442725' post='23869566']
[quote name='weekendwarrior44' timestamp='1454427233' post='23869282']
[quote name='s2000Junky' timestamp='1454396565' post='23869023']
WTF, someone totally fubared a valve adjustment. If you ran it like that id be surprised if you didn't damage something. Exhaust valves that are way too tight (which these clearly are) will stay open during the combustion cycle, and if they dont make contact with the pistons and bend or break your valve tree assy, they will surely over heat and melt down. This would explain why the coolant was boiling over.

Did you adjust the valves this way? Or did the company who replaced your valves? And not only are they not adjusted properly, but someone sure fouled up the nut and threads on those adjusters. Looks like real amateur work here. DO NOT START THIS CAR AGAIN until you can get someone experienced to properly adjust the valves, and hope no serious engine damage was done.
I don't think you read the post right, the valve clearances got like this when i was driving, they were not set like this. the car ran perfect for a about 1k miles before this happened.

the valves where the locknuts look like they're not on all the way actually are not tight at all and have a LOT of play, like i mentioned in the original post the adjuster screw somehow went in probably because the valve is sitting lower than the others the screw has more room to go in and doesn't come out on top as much as the other ones. please try reading the post again.
If you didn't touch them, and this is what happened on their own after getting valve work done at a shop, id be on the phone with them emailing this pictures and asking what they intend to do about this. This is not a typical problem. Never mind the fubar stripped threads which may or may not have been a result of self destruction, look at the lock nuts which show complete mishandling of a wrench. Again looks like real armature work here. Again, I would get on the phone with the manager/owner of that shop, send him the pics and push for them towing your car back to their lot on their dime and inspecting the issue, with the intent to repair what ever damage was caused by a clear botching of work on their end. After nearly a decade of being an active member on this website, I have never come across this particular issue/symptom before. It was clearly caused by human intervention/tampering at some part in the stage of events.
[/quote]

Don't think you're reading right again. I set the valve clearances about 1,000 miles ago. I checked all 16 of them 2-3 times after all was done and verified they were all on the looser side while still being WITHIN spec. I'm thinking maybe i torqued down the locknuts incorrectly... I'm having it towed to the shop tomorrow morning
[/quote]

I think I'm reading just fine, but maybe its between the lines I'm thinking you probably shouldn't do valve adjustments anymore based on what what's being shown in this thread. I hope no serious damage was done other then needing to replace your lock nuts and adjusters.
[/quote]

well what i'm saying is that the valves did NOT look like that when the adjustment was done, i think i may have just over torqued them and if that's the case everything would've been fine if i torqued them right. other possibility is that the car overheated and caused the valves to sink and that's why they look like that now. the locknuts only look like that now because those two valves seem to have sunken in so i had to move the adjuster screw in much further to get the same valve clearance it had before,if that makes sense
Old 02-03-2016, 08:42 AM

This might be a dumb question but is it possible that the guys who replaced the valves used the wrong ones (length wise)? Could the car of run normal with the wrong ones in till they got loose?
Old 02-03-2016, 09:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by weekendwarrior44
Originally Posted by iamxpL' timestamp='1454513485' post='23870272
Yeah, followed a diy on here and went 1,4,3,2
Maybe only you would know if this is a typo or not, but the correct TDC order I've read on all the DIY's here are 1,3,4,2. Not 1,4,3,2
Old 02-03-2016, 11:08 AM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

Honestly as long as the cam lobes are roughly 90° relative to the rocker arm you can properly adjust that set of valves. If the cam lobe is parallel or acting on the rocker arm you will never set clearance properly. When I do cylinder one I go to tdc then move the crank so the corresponding cam lobe is 90° relative to the rocker instead of the ~60-70 degrees when it's right on tdc.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:53 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

There is no way a valve would sink nearly 15-20mm (based on the pics of compensated adjusters) to then not make contact with the pistons at some point during the cycle, or better yet still be held by the valve keepers and retainers, unless the valve springs stayed compressed somehow by unknown forces. From the pics they do look compressed, but I attributed that to being overly tight from the adjusters and or cam lobe position. If you put the cam position in proper adjustment position for that valve and back off the adjusters, do the valves springs stay compressed? Maybe the springs are broken?
Old 02-04-2016, 07:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by VELART
This might be a dumb question but is it possible that the guys who replaced the valves used the wrong ones (length wise)? Could the car of run normal with the wrong ones in till they got loose?
No because I myself bought the OEM valves from the dealer and took them to the mechanic

Quick Reply: Possible valves got loose while driving