S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Possible Throw Out Bearing Issue?

Old 04-15-2010, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Throw Out Bearing Issue?

Hey Everyone,

So I am a new S2000 owner (been about a month now). Bought my MY03 with roughly 52K miles on it. Shortly after purchasing I noticed that my clutch pedal was 'sticky' when I would go to let the pedal up after pressing it down. I also noticed some difficulty getting into 1st and reverse.

I did some research, and decided to go maybe a bit overkill to resolve the issues I was having:
I bought a new Clutch Master Cylinder (yes, my old one was leaking)
I bought a new Clutch Slave Cylinder (saw that it was a good idea to replace this if I did the CMC)
Re-greased the shifter fork with the Honda High Temp UREA grease
I bled the clutch fluid and put in fresh, clean Valvoline DOT 3 fluid
Then I even went as far as to flush the tranny fluid, and replace with fresh MTF.

Got the car back from the shop and things seemed to be much different. I was thrilled! Now I am starting to experience the same 'sticky' clutch pedal. To top it off, it seems as though, from time to time, that my clutch isn't fully engaging. Every once in a while I will be coming to a stop, let the revs drop, put the clutch in, and the revs dont seem to drop as if the clutch was fully engaged. Not only that, it is hard to pull the shifter out of gear until the revs drop close to idle.

Sorry for the long post, but do any of you have any idea what's going on? Should I replace the TO bearing, and get a new clutch while I'm at it? I think the TO bearing might solve the second problem that I described, but I dont think that would effect the 'sticky' feeling in the pedal...would it?
Old 04-15-2010, 10:25 AM

does it make any raddling noise? when i first bought my s2 a few days later when i'll be in nuetral i would hear a rattle and when i would step in the cluitch it would get quiet my bro in law said it was the throw out bearing

so next day i still had warranty had my dealer fix it and never had the problem again..
Old 04-15-2010, 11:49 AM

No rattling noise. Not in neutral, or when the clutch is pushed in. The car is quiet just like it should be (I think).

I didn't really mention, but I started to notice the clutch engagement problem before all the work was done to my car as well. I was hoping that the clutch fluid being flushed would help, or that because my CMC was shot that maybe it wasn't doing its job well enough to fully engage the clutch. I guess I was wrong.

Any other ideas?
Old 04-15-2010, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIf you want to replace throw out bearing, get plan to replace clutch as well.( Anyway you gotta open tranny). But maybe installation issue?
Old 04-15-2010, 02:03 PM

sounds like something is keeping your clutch engaged (it sounds like you_mean_the clutch isn't disengaging.)
does the behavior change any with more rpm? less rpm?
when you greased the shifter fork, did you grind down the (possibly existing) nipple that can develop on the ball?
Old 04-15-2010, 02:48 PM

Yea sorry, I meant disengage, not engage.

I only notice the issue when I am coming to a stop. So I only notice the issue when I clutch in at about 2500-3000rpm (I downshift when coming to a stop). I will clutch in, and it seems as though the car is still engine braking instead of just having the rpms fall.

I had a shop actually do the work for me (greasing the shifter fork). He is a Honda/Acura wiz so I am sure that he ground off the nipple if there was one. Is the nipple actually on the shifter fork or on the slave cylinder? If it develops on the slave then there wouldn't be one as its a new part from Honda.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is the throw-out bearing, you should be able to feel it as a vibration transmitted to your foot. You should also be able to hear it with any depression of the clutch pedal. Since you evidently solved the problem temporarly, with your initial attempts at a fix', I doubt it's the t-bearing.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:00 PM

agreed t/o make noise but you might be getting to the point were your going to be doing the clutch and replace to bering too at same time.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:03 PM

Yea, for sure no vibration out of the clutch pedal, or any out of the normal noises. Maybe it is just a clutch thing. Like I told someone else, I guess I should have paid more attention to this problem before ordering my KW V3's, haha.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:57 PM

^ true. I'd would save that money untill fix this issue. Have you take it to your mechanic? I'm sure he can figure out much easier than discuss on forum. Good luck man, hope it isn't big issue.