S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Possible over-torque of axle nut?

Old 08-02-2014, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible over-torque of axle nut?

So I've been hearing a *pop* right when I brake and right when I take off after backing out of a parking spot. It sounds like from the right rear, but I can't say 100% for sure. Assuming the problem was the axle nut, I got a 2' 3/4" breaker bar and re-torqued both per the DIY (I weigh about 200lbs, so I just stood on the end). They both look like they'd been done before, but only about 10-15 degrees each. What worries me is that the same amount of force turned the left rear nut a lot farther than the right side... I haven't driven it yet to test it (since there's a Lowe's truck in the way), but I thought I'd see what you guys thought. Also, I found that the factory scissor jack handle (the thing with the hook on one end) works as an impromptu staking tool.

Left rear (after):

Right rear (after):
Old 08-02-2014, 08:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't say what the best bet is on your car may be, but...

Yes, the nut can be over torqued. Over the years a number of posts have shown the axle fatigued and twisted off the outer CV joint. Mine failed after a new bearing install and I am sure it was from repeated tightening from previous failed bearing installs.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar noise before and it was a bushing on the upper control arm. The one that's connected to the rear spindle.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:03 AM

It is a M24 fastener.
According to standardized torque figures, if the bolt is a class 8.8 bolt you would need to torque it beyond 499lbs ft in order to "overtorque" it.
http://www.fullermet...ue_figures.aspx

I highly doubt you overtorqued it.

I had the threaded portion of the stub axle fail but it was due to running a worn hub which cyclically applied a shear load on the bolt.

https://www.s2ki.com/...our-hub-is-bad/
Old 08-02-2014, 12:32 PM

I was more worried about too much torque damaging the spindle or wheel bearing. It seemed odd that roughly the same amount of torque rotated the nut farther on one wheel than the other.

I did finally take it out earlier and I think you might be right, iamatlas... The pop/clunk is still there. I'm at around 132k, so it couldn't hurt to start checking bushings anyhow.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 08-02-2014, 02:06 PM

Did you follow this DIY?

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/929...e-nut-tsb-diy/

Don't worry about damaging the spindle. You actually would break the fastener before that happened.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nissanfanatic
Did you follow this DIY?

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/929...e-nut-tsb-diy/

Don't worry about damaging the spindle. You actually would break the fastener before that happened.
On page 3 of that thread the acknowledged expert, Billman250, warns that if you overtighten "you are going to snap your axles."
Old 08-03-2014, 02:15 PM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

Yes, rest assured the axle nut can be overtightened, and the axle will snap at the base of the spline.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:06 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

I used a four foot fence post over my breaker bar to tighten mine past the factory markings. Nothing broke. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:21 PM

Well crap. Billman, in the 3rd page of that DIY did say that you had an '02 in and the nuts went 90deg past the original spot. I figured the left side nut went farther because it was already stretched. I figure it might be better to leave it be rather than re-torque it again and put more fatigue on the fastener. I could be wrong, though.

I went through the DIY and other threads and saw that the actual torque value seemed to be about 300ish ft-lbs, so I put my weight (about 200lbs) on one foot about 6" from the end of a 24" breaker bar and the photos were the result. Not very precise or scientific, but...

Quick Reply: Possible over-torque of axle nut?