S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

possible hydrolock, please help

Old 12-07-2007, 01:46 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by iam7head,Dec 6 2007, 06:57 AM
first thing first, hydrolock is when your motor suck in water and it's completely seized, in that case, the motor is done.
No, it is not done.

A hydrolocked car can have the plugs pulled, expell the water, and drive away.

I did it on an s2k last year, car is fine.

The key factor to having success to this is: DO NOT try to start it once it hydrolocks.

pull the plugs and expell the water. You have a 75% chance of the car being fine.

Once you hit the stat button, it goes down to 5%.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250,Dec 7 2007, 02:46 PM
He already did that bill

I know, I know, your just making a point. Point recieved

Old 12-09-2007, 05:03 AM

Is there a rod sticking out the side of the block?
Old 12-09-2007, 07:08 AM

have fun with geico....they take FOREVER to get things done
Old 12-13-2007, 10:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MIAMI S-2000,Dec 7 2007, 05:36 AM
Yeah but his intake was not stock, when you talk to your insurance, don't mention you had aftermarket CAI and if they want to see the car get a stock air box before they see it or they will deny your claim.

don't ask me how but i know some people that got a new motor(or motor with similar mileage) put in from the hydro-related motor damage.

the last bit of infomation: it went thru the insurance, no it's not stolen or anything like that

don't ask me what they did, probably involved with alot of hookers, drugs, g*y $$$$$$
Old 12-13-2007, 10:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250,Dec 7 2007, 02:46 PM
No, it is not done.

A hydrolocked car can have the plugs pulled, expell the water, and drive away.

I did it on an s2k last year, car is fine.

The key factor to having success to this is: DO NOT try to start it once it hydrolocks.

pull the plugs and expell the water. You have a 75% chance of the car being fine.

hey bill, no disrespect but i am not sure you got what i wrote/said

if i am not mistaken hydrolock is defined with the motor is complete seized after water induction related problem.

if the car sucks in water from the uber cold air intake, motor stop but you able to get the water out of the cylinder before whacking everything, then it's not hydrolock.

that's my definition

anyways, i think the op's motor falls into the first group

like i said, most of the water induction problem could be fix without a costly tear down if the initial first aid was done right. I was once helping a friend during a downpour in the busy-est freeway in socal, car blasting horn and giving us fingers for kicks.

the motor shoots up water to the underside of the hood like a water show, luckily it was an inline four(good with with the scooby and camry v6 guys)

Old 12-14-2007, 12:48 AM

Hi iam7head

Originally Posted by iam7head,Dec 13 2007, 11:37 PM
if i am not mistaken hydrolock is defined with the motor is complete seized after water induction related problem.
This is correct. If the cylinders injest enough water, the pistons can no longer move. Thus the term "Hydrolock"

Originally Posted by iam7head,Dec 13 2007, 11:37 PM
if the car sucks in water from the uber cold air intake, motor stop but you able to get the water out of the cylinder before whacking everything, then it's not hydrolock.
Technically, until you remove said water, it is hydrolocked

Old 12-14-2007, 02:01 AM

Might be dumb, but when you get hydrolock ? Since netherlands in the netherlands it rains alot...

?!?!?!?!?
Old 12-14-2007, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Ravens,Dec 14 2007, 03:01 AM
Might be dumb, but when you get hydrolock ? Since netherlands in the netherlands it rains alot...
It's cool

Hydrolock is very unlikely on a stock S2000, cause the opening to the air box is up high enough.

Hydrolock can occur on a car with a cold air intake where the inlet is low to the ground. When you go though a puddle, the intake could suck water into the motor. Because of the design of the cold air intake, the inlet pipe being angled upward, it can fill up full of water when the vehicle is parked in a heavy down pour. Then, when you start the car, it sucks the water that accumulated into the motor

[QUOTE=RACER,Dec 6 2007, 02:46 AM]You see, water does NOT compress the same way air does.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by RACER,Dec 14 2007, 04:41 AM
It's cool

Hydrolock is very unlikely on a stock S2000, cause the opening to the air box is up high enough.

Hydrolock can occur on a car with a cold air intake where the inlet is low to the ground. When you go though a puddle, the intake could suck water into the motor. Because of the design of the cold air intake, the inlet pipe being angled upward, it can fill up full of water when the vehicle is parked in a heavy down pour. Then, when you start the car, it sucks the water that accumulated into the motor

If your car is stock, you don't have to worry man

So if fly over a puddle with 70 km's ... your fine ? But, when i have my S ..(soon ) i deff wanna lower it... But like i said it rains here alot!.....

But, its when your intake is placed low in those vents you need to cut out ?

Quick Reply: possible hydrolock, please help