S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

possible hydrolock, please help

Old 12-06-2007, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible hydrolock, please help

Hello all, I am supsecting that I have hydrolocked my car, at least that what it looks like according to all the research i have done on s2ki. my car is lowered and I have a CAI, dont know what brand that is, came with the car, and no bypass valve. here is what happened, i drove over a deep puddle, couldnt make it across and it died and it wouldnt start again. I had to push it away from the water puddle. tried push start it and it didnt work (poping clutch on a rolling start). right after it stalled, i have tried to start it again a few times, and it has no reaction of whatso ever, it wouldnt even "click", and then within 15 mins, the battery went completely dead (the emergency lights went faster and faster and completely shut off). so i had to tow it home. it was two days ago, today weather finally become nicer, finally got a chance to look at it. I first put in a new battery, since the battery died, no luck. But right now I hear 1 loud "clink", seems like it is trying to turn, but it wouldnt. so do some research on s2ki. I took off the CAI and found that there are water at the bottom half of the piping, also checked the throttle body, there are some water in there as well. so i cleaned off the water in the TB, remove the CAI pipes, and take out the spark plugs, only the farthest spark plug hole has lil bit of water in it, but for some reason that spark plug was extremely lose compare to the other ones. Then I attempted to manually turn the crank pulley, and it wouldnt move. i am not sure if i am not turning hard enough, or it is just not moving anywhere, i am not sure how hard i suppose to turn, i didnt go all out and try to make that thing to spin, cause i dont wanna break anymore things as it is already bothering me alot. so i am just wondering what could be the problem here? oh yeah, after i push the start button a few times, I noticed that the ground terminal on the battery is extremely hot, is that a indication that I have some electrial problem rather than mechanical problem? I have search everywhere, and still couldnt find a solution to this, so any 2 cents would definitely help, thanx in advance.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by -B16A-,Dec 6 2007, 01:04 AM
I have hydrolocked my car

[QUOTE=-B16A-,Dec 6 2007, 01:04 AM]i drove over a deep puddle, couldnt make it across and it died and it wouldnt start again.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

first thing first, hydrolock is when your motor suck in water and it's completely seized, in that case, the motor is done.

what happen 90 percent of the time is that you have a water induction problem which is not hydrolock. I am sorry to say that you did everything you are not suppose to do after a water induction accident.

like racer said, liquid doesn't compress at all(at normal situation, for all those ph.d with physic) and that is exactly why you should NEVER try to start your car once it's shut off, you should remove the fuel pump fuse, remove the sparkplug(becareful with water and the coil on plug, you can burn out the darn thing if you are not careful)
and try to crank the motor with the gas pedal all the way down.

i saved couple of water occupied cylinder that way, most of the time you can get away with it without too much damage. bent valve, valve lash adjustment goes to hell but nothing major, IF you did all the steps.

the dead battery is from all the cranking i guess, which you shouldn't do knowing there's foreign object in the cylinder cavity.

now get all the water out, see if you can start the motor. if you do check compression and where are the damage.

good luck, lots of bad news

edit: the battery's hot because it's only job is to turn the car over by spinning at hard as i could with the starter but the piston will not go up and down because you have uncompressable "stuff" in the cylinder. i serious doubt it's the charge system.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:55 AM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

check for large holes in the side of your block... check your oil... see if there is any water in it.

As the other poster said, take all spark plugs out and crank the motor, if you see lots of mist coming out of the block, at least you haven't completely blown the motor. I would also take the fuel pump fuse out when you crank it, so at least you don't get fuel pooling in the cylinders!
Old 12-06-2007, 09:07 PM

Thanx for all the input. I have actaully tried manually cranking it with a breaker bar while spark plugs are removed, it wouldnt move, i am not sure if i have crank it hard enough, but seems like i cant get the crank to move. also, I tried to start it with the start button, but it still does the same thing, all i get is the starter make 1 clicking noise and stop.

so changing oil might able to start the car again? I havent taken out the fuel pump fuse yet, is it underneath driver side kick panel? or under the hood? previous put some carbon fiber overlay on the fuse box cover under the hood. if thats where the fuse is, i have no way of checking it.

Again, I have no clue of how to get it fix, or attempt to get it fix, so any info i could get would be greatly appericiated!
Old 12-06-2007, 09:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

your best bet is take it to a professional, and save up for a new engine starting now...
Old 12-06-2007, 09:25 PM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

[QUOTE=-B16A-,Dec 7 2007, 01:07 AM] Thanx for all the input.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by -B16A-,Dec 6 2007, 10:07 PM
I have actaully tried manually cranking it with a breaker bar while spark plugs are removed, it wouldnt move, also, I tried to start it with the start button, but it still does the same thing, all i get is the starter make 1 clicking noise and stop.
I am really, really sorry

[QUOTE=-B16A-,Dec 6 2007, 10:07 PM]so changing oil might able to start the car again?
Old 12-06-2007, 10:39 PM

Look on the bright side, nobody got killed

Old 12-06-2007, 11:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like a "Real" hydrolock motor, if you can't crank it by hand.

look at the bright side, well..beside no one got killed there is no bright side.

*******************READ THIS**************************

some insurance company COVERS water related damage(read: hydrolock) under the premium, pray, ask, bride your agent and make sure she(or he) is having a great time while filing your claim, if you know what i mean

Quick Reply: possible hydrolock, please help