S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Possible to have race bearing noise?

Old 07-13-2014, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible to have race bearing noise?

I've had a noise in 5th gear that is pretty quiet and hasn't gotten better or worse (in the last year) even with fresh MTF. It sounds like slight bearing noise but it is only present in 5th gear. The transmission still feels incredible though. All gears are buttery smooth, no grinding ever, never have any pop-outs either, even at WOT in all gears.

Could it be possible that a race bearing make noise when in that particular gear? The race bearing of a gear spins with the gear while in gear right? Not just when shifting?

Is this common?

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2014, 12:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Over time the tranny will sound noisy. It doesn't always mean a bearing is bad. Just depends on how loud it is. Is it getting hard to shift into 5 th? Are you sure it's not the differential you are hearing?
Old 07-14-2014, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by B0neSt0ck
Over time the tranny will sound noisy. It doesn't always mean a bearing is bad. Just depends on how loud it is. Is it getting hard to shift into 5 th? Are you sure it's not the differential you are hearing?
All gears shift completely fine, no issues whatsoever. It's just a noise that happens only in 5th gear. It's pretty light but definitely there. I'm pretty confident in ruling out the differential. It's not coming anywhere from that area.

I'm thinking it's just a noise that has come with the age of the car. In the year I've had this noise it has not gotten better or worse at all. I think I'll just forget about it. I wanted to see if the race bearing theory was legitimate.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:24 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Actually: in a constant mesh gearbox the freewheeling gear of the set that IS selected does not turn on the shaft - its connected to it.
All the other freewheeling gears turn at different speeds in relation to the shaft they are on.
If you know what I mean....

The sec. reduction is known for making noise when the bearings go bad (kinda obvious... I know)

Old 07-16-2014, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
Actually: in a constant mesh gearbox the freewheeling gear of the set that IS selected does not turn on the shaft - its connected to it.
All the other freewheeling gears turn at different speeds in relation to the shaft they are on.
If you know what I mean....

The sec. reduction is known for making noise when the bearings go bad (kinda obvious... I know)

Ah ok, great info thank you.

I actually think I have wheel bearing noise since I'm also hearing a slight "wobble" sound at 40+ mph with the top up. Maybe the noises are related since I know bearings can make a squirrly noise too. I've also really listened to the original noise hard and it seems to come in and out but only in 4th, 5th, and 6th gear. 4th and 5th are more prominent with 5th being more prominent than 4th. I'm thinking that I can hear it worse in those gears because I'm not going fast enough to have the noise cancelled out with wind noise?

I'm having a tire shop see if they can determine bearing noise. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of space in my garage anymore