S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Possible Engine Seizure?

Old 05-08-2009, 04:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible Engine Seizure?

all, longtime member but my first post in this forum.

Today on the way to work, I was on the highway going about 75mph. I began to notice that when I would accelerate, I would feel a slight rattle from what felt like the engine.

So I slowed down (55-60) and began to just feather it as much as I could. Then I saw the red Low Oil Pressure light (the oil can with the drip) come on briefly. Uh oh. The next exit was about 2 miles ahead and I knew there was a gas station there.

A mile or so later, the revs went to zero, and the battery light came on along with the low oil pressure light. I coasted to a stop on the side of the road. I (foolishly) tried starting the car, and there was a very slight turning noise but nothing happened.

There was a chap who had also pulled over to change his tire and he happened to have a quart of synthetic 10-30 mobil 1, which I also use. So he let me have it and I opened the engine.

Smoke was coming out of the engine. Uh oh. I put in the oil and closed the cap. Tried to restart the car. This time, there was no response at all. The battery light was still on.

The radio and the other electric objects were working. When I told this to my usual mechanic, he said that it may just be the alternator that's gone bad.

Any similar experiences with people here? I found one link to someone who seems to have had a similar problem here:

http://s2000.com/forums/all-other-honda-s2...ner-engine.html

but that was it. Particularly, this part sounded familiar:

nexplicably, one night, I heard a strange rattling noise that was engine speed sensitive...increased frequency w/ revs. The check engine light never came on... as far as anyone would guess this might not be a big problem. I drove the additional mile and a half home, park the car for the weekend and call a local Honda dealer for an appointment. The next time I start the car is the day I make the <5 Mile trip to the dealership. Upon start up the engine sounds fine, but again, as revs increase the sound quickens. A mile or so down the road the engine stalls at a red light. Can't get it started, and yet still no check engine light. I push the wounded car off the road and call AAA. After a couple of hours I have the car flatbed towed to the Honda dealer where it would remain to this day (2+ months later).
Just like him, I never saw a check engine light.

In the worst case scenario, about how much does it cost nowadays to replace with a new engine? I have a 2003. Is it possible to replace it with the new 2.2L engine?

Would appreciate any input. Thanks very much.
- John
Old 05-08-2009, 04:54 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention. My last oil change was about 4-5 months ago, and about 6000 miles ago.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:17 AM

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I posted here.

What/where was the smoke from/smelled like?
Old 05-08-2009, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You and failing to change oil. Good luck Tarts
Old 05-08-2009, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by tacocat,May 8 2009, 09:17 AM
I posted here.

What/where was the smoke from/smelled like?
It didn't have any particular smell that I could tell - it was a highway and cars were whizzing by making all sorts of smells.

It was coming from the engine when I opened it to put in more oil.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:14 AM
Community Organizer

Received 695 Likes on 439 Posts

Did you check the oil level before you added oil? or after?
Old 05-08-2009, 06:30 AM

i would change the synthetic at 3k also, u guys need to check ur oil level once a week! sounds like u ran low on oil!
Old 05-08-2009, 06:46 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

John.

Does not sound like the altenator. Rattle and oil light and working electrics should cover that.

Get a new mechanic no 1.

PM Robrob, he just got a new (used) engine, I am sure it was $$.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:34 AM

"light came on along with the low oil pressure light"

You did not tell us if you took the oil dip stick and check the oil level.

If no oil....then there is nothing to talk about.
There is no tech can fix "no oil".
Old 05-08-2009, 07:54 AM
beb

Unfortunately, On an s2000; if your oil light comes on... its already too late about 90% of the time.

Most S2000's burn oil, you should try to check your levels every week or 2weeks dependant on how much and how you drive...

I had a faulty Mobil1 filter that caused me dump almost all my oil at once. Turning a corner to work, my light blipped on for a split-second. I pulled over immediately and found my dipstick bone dry. Car was towed and checked over....ended up being fine... thankfully!

Point of the story is that your oil light does not come on when you are getting low on oil.... Its pretty much when you have NO oil! PLEASE PLEASE check your oil frequently!

Quick Reply: Possible Engine Seizure?