S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

possible engine damage?

Old 04-05-2003, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible engine damage?

I've taken out my VAFC and didn't know where the wires re-attached itself so I left it cut. My car was than started but would stall and won't keep on idle. Itz going to have all the wires re-done in two days. But I was wondering if I ran it with out properly wiring the ECU it would cause an engine damage. The exhaust let out a burning smell and was smoking when I turn the car off. It ran for 20 seconds at the most. It looks like fuel-ratioz hasn't matched up and it ran too rich. I was wondering if this would cause engine damage or manifold damage?

Tuner
Old 04-05-2003, 07:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it ran rich you might have fouled plugs, but the damage is easily fixable. If it ran lean, well, then we're talking a whole other ballgame.
Old 04-05-2003, 07:34 PM
Former Moderator

bad idea to leave ecu wires cut. i'd say don't drive it till it's fixed.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:51 PM

Itz not being driven or ran AT ALL. But I personally don't think it caused any engine damages or any part damage whatsoever. I just wanted to see if there was any possibilities. There stil might be though. Anyways, if anyone has a say in this please post it for I appriciate every comment good or bad and want to see what otherz think of the situation.

Tuner
Old 04-06-2003, 01:07 PM

Your car stalled because the ECU got no MAP sensor signal. I accidently started my car with my eManage harness not plugged into the eManage and it did the same thing. It ran for about 2 seconds than just dipped down until it died. It caused no damage to the car.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:04 PM

Makes sense!! SOO glad to hear that it caused no damage. Whew..now...if I were to rev the engine and move the car without the map sensor (about three feet reverse and three feet 1st gear) than would I cause engine damage?

Tuner
Old 04-06-2003, 10:30 PM

If it didn't die before you hit the gas pedal it would most likely die as soon as you did. The MAP sensor measures how much air is coming into the motor...so it knows how much fuel to give it, and what kind of timing to run...without this the ECU is very confused and thus the car dies.

Even if you could do it, I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 04-06-2003, 10:35 PM

It was unavoidable at the time. The car needed to be re-parked for the safety and convience of others sharing the lot. But it was able to run yet the engine choked (during the 20 seconds of moving) to stay running. It died as soon as I let off of the throttle. I was just wondering if this rich or lean mix of burn in the engine will cause piston or piston case damage or manifold damage due to excessive heat or combustion in the exhaust manifold. (exhaust was smoking) and it sounded for a second like the exhaust was a mis-firing system. Anyone care to state an input?

Tuner
Old 04-06-2003, 11:49 PM

Only time will tell.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:53 AM

At the dealership. From what these mechanics are telling me, the car ran rich and suffered no damages whatsoever (but their taking a guess). They told me they'll inspect more into it and tell me more if they find anything. I'm just glad to have my car back today. Although I have about the next 5 hours staring at this dealership wall.

Tuner

Quick Reply: possible engine damage?