S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Possible Clutch Problem...Help Please!

Old 11-26-2012, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Clutch Problem...Help Please!

So, I'm new to this forum, but not forums in general. First off, I had a 02 Rsx Type S that a month ago, I traded for an 01 Yellow S2K. I don't know much about S2000's yet, so I need a little advice, and help on diagnosing a problem. I'll try to give as many clear details as possible.

01 S2000 with 125K miles.

When I got the car, dude said it shifted notchy when the tranny was cold. Stupid me believed him and traded. Obviously, he lied. So, the shifting is notchy. I've read on here that parts need to be greased up really well, so hopefully that'll help the notchy-ness.

Now, the clutch in the car lets out at the very top and is very touchy. Makes me think it's old and I need a new one. But two weeks after I got the car, it started having troubles going into 5th gear. I would just have to kind of force it in and sometimes it would grind a little and pop out of gear. With that being said, I just started avoiding 5th for the time being until I could buy a new clutch. Well, a week ago, I came to a stop sign and tried to put it in first. All I had was 3rd gear, and 4th gear. The shifter wouldn't even move left and right while in neutral. I played with it, moving it side to side vigorously, and it finally would swing left and right enabling me to get into 1st gear. But now I cannot get it into 5th gear at all. It's like pushing on a brick wall. When I do try to get 5th, the linkage feels stiff again, and I have to go into 6th in order to get the shifter to swing left and right in neutral again.

So, I am planning on replacing the slave cylinder, master cylinder, clutch, pressure plate, and possibly the flywheel. I've read on here you shouldn't get the flywheel resurfaced, but I'm not 100% on that one. Then greasing everything up really, really well.

Is there any knowledge, help, tips, etc. anyone can give me, please? I want to make sure that at least my 5th gear will come back after I put all the new parts on, and am hoping it's not a synchro problem...any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:50 AM

My suggestion to u would be just get an ap2 tranny as it has more improvements I also have an ap1 and plan on going this way soon
Old 11-26-2012, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude, dont replace everything, figure out your problem. It could be old MTF, how is the clutch fluid?? lets start there. You have to pause between shifts for it to be smooth, also try shifting above 4k rpm. Sounds like the previous owner may have skipped shifted gears
Old 11-26-2012, 09:57 AM

Honestly, I can't afford a whole new tranny at the moment. But what do you mean skip shifted gears? Like went from 1st to 3rd and so on? I'm not sure how old the fluid is, but I can change it. I don't normally have to pause between shifts for it to be smooth. Typically, if I throw it out of gear and into the next gear somewhat quick, it's the smoothest.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:03 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

s2k transmissions are a bit notchy at cold and at lower rpm. check the clutch pedal as it might need adjustment.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:29 AM

I'd personally start by changing the clutch and trans fluid to see if that helps.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:09 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
s2k transmissions are a bit notchy at cold and at lower rpm. check the clutch pedal as it might need adjustment.
Only adjust the pedal after you're sure the clutch fluid has been properly bled though. Air in the clutch fluid can feel like a mis-adjusted pedal.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:12 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BenS2579
But what do you mean skip shifted gears? Like went from 1st to 3rd and so on?
Yup, don't skip gears when upshifting. The consensus seems to be that skipping on downshifts while decelerating is ok though since reduced wheel speed will slow down the transmission output shaft and reduce stress on the synchros.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:01 PM

Search google for something like "s2ki notchy shifting" and other similar searches and you'll find probably 5 different threads with solid information, most of which Billman250 has posted in.

Consensus here on the forums (actually Bilman250's opinion) is that it will be clutch fluid hydraulics.

How does the clutch fluid in the reservoir under the hood look? It is likely very dirty and possibly low. You can search for billman250 clutch bleed suggestions.

If that does not help, then it is likely a broken pressure plate or flywheel ($$$). You'll see the pictures of this in the threads I just told you to search for. There will be other suggestions like transmission fluid and regrease shifter, etc. They'll may help some (particularly transmission fluid), but your main problem will be either clutch hydraulics or a broken flywheel (or pp? I can't remember).
Old 11-26-2012, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BenS2579
I don't normally have to pause between shifts for it to be smooth. Typically, if I throw it out of gear and into the next gear somewhat quick, it's the smoothest.
Replace the MTF and replace/bleed out the clutch fluid and go from there. Use Honda MTFII in the tranny, it takes about 1 ¾ quarts..And while you are at it id do the rear diff too with Mobil 1 LSD.

I was quick shifting my car and the shifting was rough and notchy with an audible thump from under my seat, that is until Billman showed me how to shift properly. The s2k isn’t like other cars, you almost have to wait a second or so between shifts and feel the next gear grab.

Quick Reply: Possible Clutch Problem...Help Please!