S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Possible bent rod...HELP!

Old 09-08-2006, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible bent rod...HELP!

So the other day I was driving (not in a spirited manner) and I start hearing this awful racket: ROD KNOCK.

I take it to the dealer and they say it's all kinds of things possibly, but they won't know until they open it up and that would cost me. Well, I have a warranty on this car, so I asked why it'd cost me and they said ' You have a cold air intake and that voids the warranty '. Well, after printing out info from SEMAs site and rubbing it in the dealer's face, they said they would call an inspector from honda out and he'd decide. Well, he decided that I'd bent a rod and my VAFCII caused it - in other words: DENIED! Well, the funny thing about this is that my VAFCII had been reflashed to the stock fuel curve and before it was a conservative tune anyways. When I called my main mechanic in Atlanta, he said that it was literally impossible for the VAFC to cause the problem.

How do I get honda to come around? They want to replace my shortblock without seeing if it can be repaired instead of replaced and it's going to cost over $5k. how should I go about this in the legal process or is there something you guys/girls know that I don't on this topic?

Also, has anyone dynoed an ap2 bottom end with an ap1 head? I heard it makes gains, so maybe I'd want the 2.2 instead of the 2.0 shortblock.

Thanks all,
Jason
Old 09-08-2006, 11:04 AM

Question

if you took it to the dealer with a non dealer installed CAI and VAFC and they saw it and documented it then your warranty is voided. I am not saying they are not dingle rods for voiding it but they have that right. Its all in the fine print of your warranty paperwork. Its not up to SEMA's experts it is up to HONDA on what voids the warranty and what does not.

They (honda) will not repair a damaged engine they will replace only. you will have to go to a regular shop for any hopes of repair over replace.

Sorry

keep us posted
Old 09-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it's not really a question of whether it caused the problem. It's whether you've given them amunition to avoid paying the claim. If I was going in for warranty work, I'd set it back to stock before I walked in the door. They still might not cover it but, at least they'd have to find some perhaps less believeable reasons.

What do you expect the legal process to do for you? Do you think you can fight honda and get away paying less than 5G to your lawyer? It might make economic sense to just pay the man.

I think it's unlikely Honda's going to install an AP2 block in your car. You may have to go somewhere else for that.

Old 09-08-2006, 02:49 PM

Received 242 Likes on 181 Posts

Besides, if you have a 2001 then you don't have a warranty. Do you have Honda Care? If so, that is a service contract and not a warranty. They do not have to comply with Magnusson-Moss.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:51 PM

it's 100,000 mile 8 year.

Honda WILL install the 2.2L if I ask them to, it's my money.

No one knows the power gains? Figure I'd get good resell on that stuff = )

They're putting a 12,000 mile warranty on the block (Which goes out before my drivetrain warranty)

Oh well, time to drop nearly $6k on a car I've already dropped $9k in on repairs and such. idk why I have such a lemon for a car. = /
Old 09-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you were local I was thinking about offering you money for it. I need a S2K with a bad motor to go with my S2K with a bent frame. I figured I could mate them (like a couple of dogs) and end up with a decent S2K.

9K in repairs kind of blows that idea though. I was thinking about offering 8-9k if the body's was in decent shape.