S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Possible bad idle air control valve?

Old 07-16-2014, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible bad idle air control valve?

Hello everyone. I have a 2004 with 107,xxx miles on it. Recently while idling the RPM's will drop fairly significantly before hopping right back up to normal idle. Also, while reversing if I don't give it a ton of gas it feels like its bogging down and about to stall out. I'm not sure if the problems are related, but I was told that the first problem could possibly be a bad idle air control valve or that cleaning and reinstalling the IACV could solve it. Does that seem right, has anyone dealt with this issue before? Is there a walk through anywhere to change it out?
Old 07-16-2014, 09:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/492...#entry10624891
Clean the IAC (don't need to remove the whole intake manifold like that guy did)

Also, unbolt the throttle body and clean out the air channel that feeds the map sensor (the sensor that sits on top of the throttle body). Be careful not to damage the gasket too much unless you want to replace. some may stick to the metal, which is ok.

All in all, be careful of the coolant hoses. they like to stick to the metal and you can damage them when trying to remove.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by vtec9
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/492...#entry10624891
Clean the IAC (don't need to remove the whole intake manifold like that guy did)

Also, unbolt the throttle body and clean out the air channel that feeds the map sensor (the sensor that sits on top of the throttle body). Be careful not to damage the gasket too much unless you want to replace. some may stick to the metal, which is ok.

All in all, be careful of the coolant hoses. they like to stick to the metal and you can damage them when trying to remove.

Thanks for the response. I decided to actually search the forum after I posted ( ) and found that thread. Is there a walkthrough with pictures for the second part you mentioned?
Old 07-16-2014, 10:45 AM

Not that I know of.

1) unscrew the MAP sensor on top of the throttle body and gently clean the outside of the prong with a towel. Don't stick anything up inside the prong. Be careful not to lose or damage the o-ring. When re-connecting the MAP at the end of the entire process, make sure the o-ring is in place, and make sure the electrical connector is clean and secure.

2) Disconnect the intake tube from the throttle body. This may or may not be necessary depending on how flexible it is for you. You don't have to remove the TB completely to do this cleaning so it may not be necessary.

3) Since you have an 04, I'll assume there is no throttle cable to remove. Unsure if anything with the DBW throttle will prevent you from moving the throttle body.

4) The TB is held on by 2 nuts, 2 bolts (1 at each corner). Remove all 4. You shouldn't even need to remove the coolant lines on the throttle body, but since one goes from the IAC to the TB you'll probably have it partly removed anyway. Pry the TB apart far enough to expose the air channel that feeds the MAP sensor. It runs through the TB on the outside (fender side), and may be hidden by the gasket depending on which side it tries to stick to. Use some isopropyl alcohol or carb cleaned on a lint free (microfiber) towel to clean out the air channel. You can wipe the inside of the TB if you want as well.

5) Re-connect everything.

I'd clean the map before the IAC personally. It's a bigger source of issues. It gets dirty due to the PCV system that recirculates oil through the intake in your cars.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:07 AM

thats just off the top of my head, but should be fairly accurate
Old 07-16-2014, 03:36 PM

Thanks for taking the time to type all that. I'm going to try it tonight when I get home.