S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Possible #4 Cylinder Faliure

Old 08-26-2006, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Possible #4 Cylinder Faliure

Hey guys, I think this is my first post on this forum. However, I have been actively searching and reading for the last half of a year. I purchased my fiance's 2001 S2000 with 25,000 miles on it this last June as a substitute to an engagement ring. She had never had a nice car, and was currently driving a wrecked/fixed 96' Jetta that had well over 200k with no airbags, loose seats, and faulty wiring. I new she needed something to drive if not only for safety, but because she deserved it. Well, I decided to go with an S2000, because it was supposed to be fast, safe, and reliable. I opted for it over an M Roadster and Boxster soley on the basis of reliability. Well, the car has 27,000 miles on it and is out of warranty because of age. She has only been able to put 2000 miles on the car since I bought it for her. Wait, the story gets worse. Yesterday while taking it to the muffler shop to get what she wanted for her birthday (isn't she a great girl), I noticed a terrible ticking that sounded like bad valvetrain noise. So I pulled her into the shop and checked the oil. After preceeding to put 2 quarts in, the ticking remained and I was still two quarts downs. After finishing up the free oil change, the car sounded like crap and I headed to the Honda dealership. I am on my way right now to hear the diagnosis in person, but from what I have been reading since last night, it sounds like a #4 cylinder failure. Have there been any failures on this high of mileage car? Does anyone know if Honda will pitch in at all in solving the problem?
Old 08-26-2006, 03:49 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

woolf Posted on Aug 26 2006, 01:28 PM
So I pulled her into the shop and checked the oil. After preceeding to put 2 quarts in, the ticking remained and I was still two quarts downs.
As far as I know it takes one (1) quart of oil to go from the bottom X to the top X on the dipstick.
You did wait a while (lets say 5 minutes or so) before checking oil level, didn't you?

If you put 2 quarts in and still do not see any oil on the dipstick and you put another 2 quarts in..... you must mave been almost out of oil to begin with

Are you sure about the quantities?

After finishing up the free oil change
I don't understand...
You notice low oil level, put 2 fresh quarts in, see no oil on the dipstick.. put in another 2.. and then decide to do an oil change?
I don't understand...

I am on my way right now to hear the diagnosis in person, but from what I have been reading since last night, it sounds like a #4 cylinder failure
IMO it sounds like "Failure To Check Oil Level Regurlarly And Properly"

Nevertheless I hope it all works out for you...
Old 08-26-2006, 03:56 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you check the oil level when you first bought the car?
Did you check the oil level anytime in the first 2000 miles?
Some people recommend checking it as often as every gas fill up.
I usually do it every 500-1000 miles.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:07 AM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I check mine every time I put gas in it. Sounds like you might have killed that poor motor.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:30 AM

Yeah, i read the posting and it kinda confusing me too about the first 2-qt of oil and then the 2nd 2-qt of oil.....and then the oil-change . Sounded like that you or your fiance didn't check the oil and the engine since the day that you had bought it and that's a The S seen to burned lot of oil especially if you are VTEC-ing it alot. From what it sounded i don't think it's your #4 cylinder but probably your valves. And with the new oil change it will ticking even louder. They have some of the engine-treatment(damn, i forgot what it called....Magic...something) and try it, but i wouldn't recomend it but i would try it just to see if the ticking getting any better. If it does then definitely it's your valves and i would recomend you to re-adjust your valves right away.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:17 AM
Ek9
Banned

Yeah, well if you're short on oil, that ticking is most likely a rod knock. If you stop driving it and get it to a repair shop, you might save the motor. If you keep driving with a rod knock, eventually you'll get a catastrophic failure.

Obviously it could be valves but, not many motors survive being run out of oil and being 4 quarts down means "run out".
Old 08-26-2006, 06:52 AM

CKit Posted on Aug 26 2006, 01:56 PM
Some people recommend checking it as often as every gas fill up.
By "some people" you mean Honda?
Because they recommend checking oil level at EVERY fuel fill up.
Check your owners manual
(CKit answers.. "My owners manual.. what's that??" )

Anyway..
IMO there is no engine treatment "out-of-a-bottle" that will repair a worn bearing.
Worn due to low oil level

I'm waiting for woolf to report back before making any more comments.
Not that my comments would do him or his gf any good, the damage is done.

Old 08-26-2006, 08:58 AM
Ek9
Banned

We don't have a VAT but, we don't check our oil either...(americans that is).
Old 08-26-2006, 09:26 AM

The free oil change was the oil that mysteriously disappeared. My big question is why was there no low oil pressure light or anything. I have had plenty of american cars that went plenty of miles without needing to be checked. MY ZR1 reved to 7k and never went through oil like that. 4 quarts in 2k doesn't seem a little extreme to you guys?
Old 08-26-2006, 10:38 AM

woolf Posted on Aug 26 2006, 07:26 PM
The free oil change was the oil that mysteriously disappeared.
A typical oil change with filter takes 4.8 liters => 5 quarts.
Without filter it takes 4.5 liters => 4.8 quarts.
All that info is in your owners manual.

MY ZR1 reved to 7k and never went through oil like that.
Your comment makes me think you never checked the oil level.
7k or 9k, that's about 28 % more, not to be taken lightly
I have to admit that this is the first Honda I've owned (out of 5) that used oil at a higher then normal rate, but this is not an ordinairy Honda.
There are enough S2000's around that do not use oil, old ones and new ones.
Mine does, about half a liter every 1000 km.

4 quarts in 2k doesn't seem a little extreme to you guys?
If you are sure the car used that much oil during those miles then yes, that is extreme.
edit : 4 quarts = 3.78 liters right? 2k miles = 3600 km right?
So it comes to 1 liter every 1000 km.
Thinking about it again thats on the edge of "normal".

Your postings about how much oil was in the car are a bit confusing to me, sorry.

But it's not going to help you now.
Hindsight is 20/20.

What did the dealership say?

edit : oil usage comment.

Quick Reply: Possible #4 Cylinder Faliure