S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Pops out of 2nd gear, need help quick!

Old 02-03-2009, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Pops out of 2nd gear, need help quick!

Okay, I need more input on this matter. If you have a MY04 please do not comment on your 4th gear problems, unless they can be specifically related to mine with some details please... as there is a TSB for that year but not for MY01. (I cant just show up with a peice of paper and say fix this) Thanks.

OK
My 2001 is popping out of 2nd gear. It happens randomly. From a dead stop I will go from 1st to 2nd with no problem, then engage the clutch fully and drive... a few seconds later, sometimes immediately, the clutch is violently thrown from 2nd to neutral with a loud "THUD".

It has done this for a very long time, im very annoyed with it and need to get it fixed. All my other gears, 1,-,3,4,5,6 are PERFECT! they are smooth and I have absolutely no grinds. This is only affecting 2nd gear.

I have been told to "replace the tranny", but Im looking for something a little more specific. like, what is wrong with it? what parts could be broken? Please, if anyone has helpful insight to this then post it up! Also, Im way out of warranty. What kind of costs are associated with this kind of work?
Old 02-03-2009, 06:15 PM

Old 02-03-2009, 07:44 PM

Sorry man, Idk. I cant imagine why if the gear was engaged properly, why it would pop out unless you were:

1) accelerating
2) Deaccelerating.

if youre just cruising along, nothing should happen. You're 100% sure its totally in gear?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by ikeyballz,Feb 3 2009, 08:44 PM
Sorry man, Idk. I cant imagine why if the gear was engaged properly, why it would pop out unless you were:

1) accelerating
2) Deaccelerating.

if youre just cruising along, nothing should happen. You're 100% sure its totally in gear?
200% sure its in gear. but its usually on accelleration... as I am going through the gears. like normal driving. If I try to downshift, it will do the same thing.

AutoX is next to impossible.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:22 PM

Sorry, I dont profess to be a transmission expert and Im not entirely sure but I think if I ask the right questions someone may understand what the problem is.

if its on acceleration, does it happen as you shift, let up the clutch, press the gas drives a while THEN pops out as you hold the gas down?

or does it pop out as soon as you stop holding it into 2nd gear?

IF I understand a transmission correctly, that sounds like your gear itself is stripped, so when it clicks over to the gear, theres no meshing, its more of a kicking out of gear?

Idk, its best to probably eithier get a used one if you can, for cheap...but if you cant, go try get a mechanic to take it apart + upgrade some parts while youre at it.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by ikeyballz,Feb 4 2009, 12:22 AM
if its on acceleration, does it happen as you shift, let up the clutch, press the gas drives a while THEN pops out as you hold the gas down?

IF I understand a transmission correctly, that sounds like your gear itself is stripped, so when it clicks over to the gear, theres no meshing, its more of a kicking out of gear?

Idk, its best to probably eithier get a used one if you can, for cheap...but if you cant, go try get a mechanic to take it apart + upgrade some parts while youre at it.
thats right. After I shift into 2nd and the clutch is fully engaged, I will drive for a few seconds and then it will pop out. I have made absolutely sure that the gear was in all the way.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:13 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a similar issue. It ended up being a TSB from the toleraces in the tranny being too tight or too loose. I dont know if thats your issue but I had an 04.

Upon further inspection it turned out that a shifter fork was bent, the final drive gear was chipped. I feel this was due to putting it back into gear immediatly after it popped out which would cause a violent grind.

You may be able to rebuild the tranny. But in my expeirance a rebuild ended up making it worse and made it happen in other gears too.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:08 PM

still looking for other ideas as to what is goin on.. i may havea pretty good idea, but would like your input!