S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

POPPING from rear wheel!

Old 03-29-2006, 08:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default POPPING from rear wheel!

okay well i have that popping comming from my drivers side rear wheel...happens SOME times when going from N to 1st or almost all the time when going from R to 1st... some say its the axle nut that needs to be re torqued, but i have done that. so what else could it be? funny thing is... my last car did the SAME thing, i ended up getting my C/V joint regreased or something... do you think the dealership will do this under warranty? i have 40k on my car and its a 02. im also not stock as far as the suspension goes (coilovers, rims), so they will prob try to pull that card on me... what should i tell them? thanks!
Old 03-29-2006, 09:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I want to eliminate something ...................................

You are going from neutral (clutch out) to 1st pretty quickly, right? IE, you are idling in neutral (clutch engaged), then you push the clutch to the floor and shove it into first.
Try this next time: From neutral, push clutch to floor and wait for a 3 second count, then push it into 1st. OR ..................... From neutral, clutch to floor, go to 4th, then to 1st. You can do this as fast as you want. Does it still pop?

Now as for the R to 1st thing, what exactly were you doing? Were you just driving backwards before this? Or were you just sitting there stopped, in reverse with clutch to floor and then immediately moved it into 1st while keeping the clutch on the floor? If it was the second thing, you should not hear a pop unless you didn't have the clutch fully on the floor or your clutch is dragging a bit. If your clutch is fine and you hear a pop, something is not right.
If you were just moving the car in reverse and then suddenly stopped and put it into 1st and hear a pop, don't do it so fast. Wait till the car is completely stopped before you move it to 1st (clutch is down the whole time of course).

Or are you getting the pop when you start to move off in the car? You aren't very clear on what exactly you are doing, so it's really hard to tell you one thing or another.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:53 AM

sorry for not being clear. it does it when i start out in first or reverse, not just from R to 1, but even when i start out in R. so say im parked and go from N to 1st. reguardless if i wait 3 seconds or not, it will pop. ive even hear it pop when im rolling in 1st and engine brake alittle bit. ill prob end up just taking it to the stealership..
Old 03-30-2006, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by mic_crispy,Mar 30 2006, 07:53 AM
sorry for not being clear. it does it when i start out in first or reverse, not just from R to 1, but even when i start out in R. so say im parked and go from N to 1st. reguardless if i wait 3 seconds or not, it will pop. ive even hear it pop when im rolling in 1st and engine brake alittle bit. ill prob end up just taking it to the stealership..
OK, that's what I needed. I was trying to determine if you get a "clunk" while moving the stick shift into gear or if you are getting this noise when trying to get the car rolling.
It sounds like the latter. You most likely have the loose hubnut situation where you need to remove the nut, grease all the threads and put it back on with 220 lb/ft of torque (up from the previously recommended 181). Unless it was greased and the higher torque used and the dent pounded back in place to hold the nut in place, it can come loose again. If it was done properly the first time and it's come loose now, you may need more extensive repair.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:39 AM

yeah im pretty sure i put it back to 220lbs, but the weird thing was is that it was in the same spot that it was before (the stake)! blah ill prob buy a new nut or something and try it all over again... i may have had the torque wrench set wrong, because it took almost nothing to torque it to 220. ill prob stop by my dealership within the next week. but yeah the "clunk" isnt what i was desribing, but i have that too, i just learned not to shift so quickly into first from N. or 2nd or even R. thanks for the advice... so you dont think it could be the C/V joint?
Old 03-30-2006, 09:43 AM

that part would be:
43243-SD2-931 for the nut and
43262-S84-A51 for the pin?
Old 03-30-2006, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by mic_crispy,Mar 30 2006, 11:39 AM
so you dont think it could be the C/V joint?

that part would be:
43243-SD2-931 for the nut and
43262-S84-A51 for the pin?
Anything is possible. You're not out of the woods, yet.

I don't about the part#. I'm in Canada, so part #s may be different. Look at this. It's the thing labelled "14". It's 2 bucks.
http://www.slhondaparts.com/browse.asp?Mod...&ViewParts=true

I don't know this "pin" you're talking about. I don't recall any pin when doing this job.

Oh, did you remember the grease?
Old 04-16-2006, 05:28 PM

well just to update you guys.... i went to the dealership.. and they ordered the nut and put it on free of charge.... and it WORKED!!! no more popping sound!!
Old 04-17-2006, 06:59 AM

Is the popping sound/loose axle nut causing any damage or is it simply an annoyance?
Old 04-17-2006, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by axhandler,Apr 17 2006, 07:59 AM
Is the popping sound/loose axle nut causing any damage or is it simply an annoyance?
Unlike the infamous clutch decel "buzz", this rear axle noise is NOT just an annoyance. It may be an indication that something has already begun to go bad and if left unattended, could manifest itself into something much more serious.

Quick Reply: POPPING from rear wheel!