S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Please someone tell me I am not doing something wrong!!

Old 10-12-2003, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please someone tell me I am not doing something wrong!!

Well I have a CAI that I have bought from mayhan1980. It was defective, crushed right at the last mandrell bent before the filter. I mean the pipe is about half of the size that its suppoed to be. Now i belive this is causing me to lose some power since air cant flow as fast and volumetric as it supposed to flow. Now I am off early today I am plannig to go home and work on my car a little bit by removing the bottom part of the piping( AEM CAI comes in 2 pipes). The upper part is still in good condition so I want to convert this system in to a short ram air type of thing. Would this cause any problems? the filter will be sitting right behind the radiator and fans I belive, and i will make sure its clear from the fan blades. The second thing is when I bought this cai from my friend he did not had the vacuum hose going from upper pipe to the engine block and i did not care for it. Now couple days ago a mechanic friend of mine told me that actually vacuum hose is something needed since it creates vacuum and makes the engine block ventilate easier. Then I went and bought 2 clamps and a 1/2 inch inside diameter high pressure air hose , i will fit that today too. So are there anyting that I am doing wrong and would these thing help me with a little more power?
Old 10-12-2003, 01:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am trying to visualize yuour system: it is mounted behind the radiator and is a cold-air system?
Old 10-12-2003, 02:49 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What is the point of the AEM if you are directing it to a point of hot air? Put the stock system back on until you get a replacement 2nd pipe.

The tube from the valve cover to the intake is to allow any oil fumes to enter the intake and be burnt in combustion. It's an emissions thing.

Considering you aren't running a turbo or SC, and instead are sucking in hot air, perhaps you should consider changing your username from S2KFI. Perhaps 'S2KNFI'.
Old 10-12-2003, 04:05 PM

God I did not know there were so many amusing people located in our community.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:54 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The CAI is designed as a complete system. Altering the system may or may not work properly (probably not) and may have unintended consequences. Almost certainly there will be no gains since the point of the CAI is to move the intake of air to a place where it's colder than the engine compartment, and what you're proposing is to have the intake of air in no better of a place than the stock intake. You'd be better off with the stock intake. Either get a complete CAI system or just put the stock system back in place. And no I'm not trying to be amusing
Old 10-13-2003, 01:07 AM

eah maybe you are right but I lke the sound any way i am going to LACR on wendsday i will run the car with the half intake and see what it does if my times get better or stay the same then i keep it the way it is. If they go lower i will buy a new lower pipe fpr the system.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:48 AM

deff dont do it get the second pipe and thats it dont cause anymore problems to your S
Old 10-13-2003, 09:54 PM

have you tried contacting AEM to see if they will sell you the lower pipe?
Old 10-15-2003, 02:43 AM

Originally posted by S2KFI
eah maybe you are right but I lke the sound any way i am going to LACR on wendsday i will run the car with the half intake and see what it does if my times get better or stay the same then i keep it the way it is. If they go lower i will buy a new lower pipe fpr the system.

I have to agree with other comments on here, you aren't going to make any power, you are going to lose power most likely - yeah maybe only 3 hp but still.

The vaccum hose you are refering to is part of PCV system, and should be hooked up and if there is a slash cut tube in the stock air box, that should be adapted to be installed in your make shift short ram air intake. But I guess you don't have to if you don't want to.... then again, it seems like you are running this intake solely for the nice sound that it makes when you step on the gas..........