S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Please Help! Trunk won't open!

Old 04-15-2004, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help! Trunk won't open!

The trunk can still be opened manually with the key. However, the button on the center console and the key fob won't open the trunk.

I have checked the fuse according to this picture.

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...highlight=trunk

It's not burned out. I also swapped the fuse with another one of the same voltage and the trunk still would not open. Got a solution?
Old 04-15-2004, 06:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like the solenoid that triggers the trunk lockset is gone, or the power connection to it has gone faulty. If you can find the solenoid, apply 12VDC to it and see if it triggers - you would need the schematic - if it does, then the wiring to it must have cut cut or eaten. Have you done any mods (stereo, alarm, etc) in between the last time you used the key trigger successsfully?
Old 04-15-2004, 07:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have an aftermarket alarm?
Old 04-15-2004, 07:43 PM

ok, got more info....

I have a stock alarm, and I have not done any mods since I put in EMC's auto-window switch. That was 8 months ago.

Maybe this will help. Before the trunk failed completely, it was working / not working every few times I tried to open it this afternoon. It seemed that if I used the key to open the trunk, then close it again; The next time I could open it with the remote. The remote could then open and close the trunk a few times without fail.

I drove for about a mile, and checked the trunk again. I had to use the key to open it, and then the remotes would work again.

When I got home, it stopped working entirely. Only way ti open it is with a key.

When I hold down the trunk button on the key fob, I can hear a click under the drivers seat. Not sure what that is, but I never paid attention to it before, so it might have always been there. You have to put your head right near the drivers seat to hear it.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-16-2004, 07:13 AM

bump
Old 04-16-2004, 07:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The click is most likely the trunk relay switching over. As suggested, check the solenoid itself by applying +12V to it directly.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:05 AM

OK, I will check the solenoid. Can someone explain what a solenoid is? and even better...a picture!

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine does the same thing and i don't think it has anything to do with my alarm... i think it's the solinod because when i am acutually able to open the trunk it takes a while for the solidion to kick back (if that makes sence)
Old 04-17-2004, 03:37 AM

hope this helps

Old 04-17-2004, 09:42 AM
KLN

Not sure if this will help, but the same thing happened to my s2k with an aftermarket alarm.

I could only open it with the key, but when i pressed the alarm pad i could hear the relay "click" but it would not open. When i took it back to the shop where they installed it, we found out that the trunk opener cord that runs along the driver side hinge of the trunk had been cut somehow.

The previous owner had a custom stereo and i think they zip tied the cord to the hinge too tight, and it eventually broke.

Quick Reply: Please Help! Trunk won't open!