S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

please help with security system

Old 06-02-2011, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help with security system

Hello,

I traded my 2000 S2000 for a 2008 about 7 months ago and I love the car to death, however I'm having trouble with the keyless entry system. The 15 amp fuse keeps blowing (by the kick panel). When i put replace a fuse I noticed that the trunk button works however if i try to lock or unlock immediately a fuse will blow. I'm assuming there's a short somewhere. I'm wondering if there's any wires that run behind the head unit?

The reason why I ask is because I had a stereo installed by a shop recently and one day my speakers all stopped working. I pulled the head unit out to check the connections and everything seemed fine. There was A LOT of wired behind there because I have an amp, bluetooth, and wires hooked up to retain the radio controls such as volume, auxilary and channel change. So to say the least it was a lot of wires back there. While re-installign the head unit it was hard to get it back in but i did manage to get it in. I later checked the amp and noticed the fuse was fine, i think the amp was just over heating since it was over 100 degrees outside and now everything works just fine (speaker wise). However soon after is when I realized my keyless entry system is not working.

My question is.. Is there a wire for the door locks that runs behind the head unit? I'm trying to see where I can locate the short.

Any help is greatly appreciated and I would like to educate myself further before pulling the radio out again.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-03-2011, 08:49 PM

just found out the parking lights dont work also... I'll try and find the culprit tomorrow..
Old 06-05-2011, 11:14 AM

Okay I just got everything fixed. I'm not sure how exactly i fixed it but I to everything works now. Here's what i did:

I took the radio out and foud out there was a million and 1 wires in there. The reason being is I have a bluetooth system, I have the buttons on the left hand side for the radio hooked up to the head unit and I have an amp wired up. So I could only find 1 wire that was a little stripped and it must of have been touching ground however this was the ipod video wire. I covered it up and tried to clean up the wiring job from the shop that did the install as best I could. With the radio out i replaced the fuse to the keyless and it was working just fine not blowing out any more.

I still had a problem with the parking lights not working and I checked the fuse I thought was for them but that wouldn't work. However I knew the circuit was fine because when I lock and unlock the car now they light. I remembered a trick that the head installer taught me that I used to work with when I used to do installs and you disconnect the negative terminal and hook up a test light to it and if there's light it means there's a blown fuse somewhere likely cause of a short. So there was a short and I was able to test fuse by fuse until I found a fuse and I think it was labeled as "other light" or something like that. And sure enough it was blown. Replaced it and now evreything works fine.

I'm going to be adding rear speakers and a Sub so I'll definitely be taking the car to Alex (the head installer where I used to work) and have him re-wire the whole car because I'm not happy with the wiring that the other job did, even though they are a reputable shop and the rest of the install is immmaculate.

I hope this helps anyone with the same issue however I don't understand why the keyless and parking lights shorted out, as far as I know there are no wires running to them behind the radio.