S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Please help remove cluster

Old 02-09-2008, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help remove cluster

I was wondering if there was a simple way to do it. I read the manual and it says to remove the airbag, the steering wheel etc. There has to be a simpler way. I removed the 2 screws that secure the bezel but there seem to be something holding the bezel in place above the steering column, on top. Any ideas?
Old 02-09-2008, 06:12 PM

bump
Old 02-09-2008, 06:17 PM

Thanks man.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:25 PM

someone should know...
Old 02-10-2008, 02:41 PM

i always thought you had to lower the steerinig column but im prolly wrong....
Old 02-10-2008, 08:33 PM

First, copy down your radio presets and have your unlock code handy--then disconnect the battery (via 10mm socket).

Wait 3 minutes for the airbag to discharge. I've seen cars run into in their own driveways and garage doors falling on cars in garages, and this simple step can save your life when you lean in close to the airbag!

> Its very easy to do. First remove the plastic cover
> under the steering wheel, this is held in by 3
> philips head screws. After you have removed the cover

You'll also have to pull it out/around the ignition key cylinder and unsnap it from the upper cover.

The bolts and nuts are 12 mm. Remove the now-loose upper column cover.

What darkknight forgot--THERE ARE 2 SCREWS RETAINING THE INSTRUMENT PANEL:

With a tiny flat-headed screwdriver, pry out the 2 plastic screw covers from above the gauge display (in the top, oriented vertically).

Remove the phillips head screws from within! Then you can pull the instrument panel (clips all around).

The gauge cluster has a couple brackets, so a total of 6 screws, however there's a black plastic retaining ring with clips that hook below.

There are 4 clips on bottom and two prongs on either side which can all be released with the edge of your finger.

When you lift the clear plastic panel, the glass will probably stick to it, try to separate them without lifting the glass too much, or some cushions might fall/slip out.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by nsxracer,Feb 9 2008, 02:34 PM
I was wondering if there was a simple way to do it. I read the manual and it says to remove the airbag, the steering wheel etc. There has to be a simpler way. I removed the 2 screws that secure the bezel but there seem to be something holding the bezel in place above the steering column, on top. Any ideas?
Simplest way ey? AKA the fastest way Dude you've only been on this site for 89 days that's pretty sketchy. Will I be seeing your clusters for sale on ebay?

Well with that said it's pretty hard unless you remove the steering wheel. I replaced the bulb on my Start button last week. Remove the steering wheel two bolts on the underside of the dash drop the column, above the gauges there is two bolts remove them carefully, "pop the faceplate off you now have access to thee cluster from here.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by S2KVITO,Feb 10 2008, 09:44 PM
Simplest way ey? AKA the fastest way Dude you've only been on this site for 89 days that's pretty sketchy. Will I be seeing your clusters for sale on ebay?
what are you trying to say DUDE
Old 02-10-2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sargeant Handbag,Feb 10 2008, 09:33 PM
First, copy down your radio presets and have your unlock code handy--then disconnect the battery (via 10mm socket).

Wait 3 minutes for the airbag to discharge. I've seen cars run into in their own driveways and garage doors falling on cars in garages, and this simple step can save your life when you lean in close to the airbag!

> Its very easy to do. First remove the plastic cover
> under the steering wheel, this is held in by 3
> philips head screws. After you have removed the cover

You'll also have to pull it out/around the ignition key cylinder and unsnap it from the upper cover.

The bolts and nuts are 12 mm. Remove the now-loose upper column cover.

What darkknight forgot--THERE ARE 2 SCREWS RETAINING THE INSTRUMENT PANEL:

With a tiny flat-headed screwdriver, pry out the 2 plastic screw covers from above the gauge display (in the top, oriented vertically).

Remove the phillips head screws from within! Then you can pull the instrument panel (clips all around).

The gauge cluster has a couple brackets, so a total of 6 screws, however there's a black plastic retaining ring with clips that hook below.

There are 4 clips on bottom and two prongs on either side which can all be released with the edge of your finger.

When you lift the clear plastic panel, the glass will probably stick to it, try to separate them without lifting the glass too much, or some cushions might fall/slip out.
I appreciate the cut/paste but directions don't make sense. Where did you cut/paste it from? Thanks
Old 02-10-2008, 08:52 PM

Why are you removing your cluster?

Quick Reply: Please help remove cluster