S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Please Help with Problem

Old 04-06-2005, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ryan,

It does sound like a small exhaust leak causing the "putting" noise. You may want to check for a blown gasket.

I have a similar sound on my car right now and it turned out to be a blown wastegate gasket.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What gaskets are their that I should check and where are they located? Thanks!

Ryan
Old 04-06-2005, 03:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are gaskets where the header connects to the head, where the header connects to the cat, where the cat connects to the rest of the exhaust. The first one is a flat metal gasket. I think the other two are "donut" style gaskets.

If it happens at idle, you should be able to listen to the car while it's running and pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

If you're running the stock header, I'd start with the gaskets around the cat, first.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by mxt_77,Apr 6 2005, 03:40 PM
There are gaskets where the header connects to the head, where the header connects to the cat, where the cat connects to the rest of the exhaust. The first one is a flat metal gasket. I think the other two are "donut" style gaskets.

If it happens at idle, you should be able to listen to the car while it's running and pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

If you're running the stock header, I'd start with the gaskets around the cat, first.
I'm going to be taking out my OEM header next weekend to put in a new one. Should I just buy the gaskets before I do this and replace them just to make sure? Thanks everybody for the help!

Ryan
Old 04-07-2005, 06:17 AM

Well... if you're replacing the header, you should definitely be putting in at least two new gaskets (the ones mated to the header). However, if you've never had the cat removed from the header before, I suspect that the exhaust leak is coming from the gasket downstream of the cat... so it should be replaced, too. Make sure everything gets torqued to spec when you re-assemble it, too.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by mxt_77,Apr 7 2005, 06:17 AM
Well... if you're replacing the header, you should definitely be putting in at least two new gaskets (the ones mated to the header). However, if you've never had the cat removed from the header before, I suspect that the exhaust leak is coming from the gasket downstream of the cat... so it should be replaced, too. Make sure everything gets torqued to spec when you re-assemble it, too.
Thanks. I think that I will just buy the test pipe when I buy the header today. So, the header and test pipe should come with all the new gaskets, right? I wont need to buy any other gaskets? Thanks for the help!!! I really do appreciate it!

Ryan
Old 04-07-2005, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its something happening at idle that cause it to be rough, but disappears at higher RPM's, I would check fuel injectors. But that would normally throw a CEL misfire code. If you start getting a misfire code on a particular cyl, try swapping fuel injectors with another cyl and see if it moves... without a CEL, its a pain to track down a flaky injector since they are over 100 bucks a piece...

-c
Old 04-07-2005, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ro_Ja Boy,Apr 7 2005, 07:22 AM
Thanks. I think that I will just buy the test pipe when I buy the header today. So, the header and test pipe should come with all the new gaskets, right? I wont need to buy any other gaskets? Thanks for the help!!! I really do appreciate it!

Ryan
Old 04-07-2005, 02:56 PM
Former Moderator

as far as I know the header and test pipes don't come with new gaskets. You need to get those on your own.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by turbo_pwr,Apr 7 2005, 02:56 PM
as far as I know the header and test pipes don't come with new gaskets. You need to get those on your own.
Where do I purchase them through? hardtopguy.com? Thanks Dan!!!

Ryan

Quick Reply: Please Help with Problem