S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Please HELP! With my Injen Intake

Old 07-08-2001, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please HELP! With my Injen Intake

I just got the Injen intake yesterday and installed it. The car runs fine, but the check engine light is on. I pulled the "Backup" Fuse for about a minute, and that didn't help. Any suggestions to help?

Also, I did a search and a lot of people were saying that there is actually a LOSS of power with this intake! I'm in AZ and it is pretty hot here, so is this true? If so, how much of a loss is expected? I'd really appreciate some more comments on this!

Thanks for your help!

-A New S2000 Owner
Old 07-08-2001, 11:57 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What's the Injen made out of? Metal tube? If this is the case, it's probably heating up the air inside really badly from engine heat. This hot air (worsened by being in the AZ heat) gets heated up even more once inside the intake manifold and may be just enough for the IAT sensor (Intake Air Temp) to think that the charge is too hot. For every 10*C you heat up the air you lose about 3% of the oxygen in the same volume. This will likely convert to a 3% loss in power.
Old 07-08-2001, 12:10 PM

eniru...once i had that intake installed....But never the engine check light went on....Something must be bad connnected...
Old 07-08-2001, 12:33 PM

It is a metal tube. I'll re-check all the connections again to be sure. xviper, is that a 3% loss per 10 degrees or 3% total? Also, if I do get rid of my Injen, what do you guys recommend instead to get a nice deep sound and an increase in HP (without spending too much $$)?

Thanks!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2001, 12:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by eniru
[B]It is a metal tube.
Old 07-08-2001, 12:55 PM
S2R

Originally posted by eniru
Also, if I do get rid of my Injen, what do you guys recommend instead to get a nice deep sound and an increase in HP (without spending too much $$)?

Thanks!!!!!!
I think the Neuspeed exhaust was around $500+. That's about as inexpensive as an exhaust can get. I don't know if there are any gains or losses in power associated with that exhaust. Also, I think some guys say that just changing the air filter will give you some slim increases with a louder sound. Do a search and you'll find a gang of info. You can also just take the cover off of the airbox for a louder sound, but you will lose power.
Old 07-08-2001, 03:38 PM

ok this is what i think you did wrong: while installing the new vaccuum hoses you probably led the wrong hose to the wrong area. i know the injen insturctions really suck so its pretty much up to you. also make sure that the one-way valve is facing the right way (small part facing down) and mostly make sure none of the hoses are kinked. also you should check out the new injen heatshields that just came out you'll need it!
Old 07-09-2001, 06:59 AM

I'm gonna call Injen's Tech Line today. Is that heat shield supposed to make much of a difference?
Old 07-09-2001, 07:45 AM

Injen's tech line will tell you wrong. They prototyped off my car, took pictures, and that was it. They hooked up all the vacuum lines wrong and I had to fix it later when I got home, so that's why the directions suck. Your problem lies with the vacuum lines. You shouldn't hear any funny popping or sucking noises if they're hooked up right. Like someone else said, make sure the check valve is facing the right way and make sure you have the two lines going into the purge valve the right way. If you need pictures, let me know and I'll take some for you today.

BTW, throw that Injen piece of crap away - it's no good. You'll be much faster with the stock airbox. If you really want the sound, take the top off the airbox. You loose a little power, but it's not too much and it sounds cool.
Old 07-09-2001, 08:04 AM

I would really appreciate some decent pictures of the install. Injen's were CRAP!

If I do get rid of it, are there any disadvantages to taking the top of the airbox off?

Quick Reply: Please HELP! With my Injen Intake