S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Please help.....Convertible top question

Old 11-06-2001, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I can tell the motion of the top doesn't change, short the location of the folds. The lower portion of the glass window is higher than the bar that causes the lower crease. The upper crease is caused by the fold. The fold would still occur, but now on the fabric (which is verified by the animation). The shape of the top looks identical, meaning the frame is the same.

What we need is a copy of the service manual for 2001 and 2002 side by side. Ignore the part numbers; just look at fit.

The changes in the part numbers might not mean much. I know there is a different latch part number for the hard top. Both still work for the soft top.

List of stuff to change.[list=1]
[*]defrost switch/wiring
[*]glass insert panel
[*]larger motor[/list=1]

http://www.honda2001.com/models/s2000/qtvr...vrs.html?show=6
Old 11-06-2001, 10:06 AM

The shape of the top in its up position does not necessarily mean the frame is the same. Sure, the shape can be the same, but the manner in which the frame breaks down can be radically different.

I didn't compare the frame pieces because the $1100 for the top was enough to make me forget about it for the moment. My dealership would not sell just the window part of the roof.

Temin
Old 11-06-2001, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by temin
The shape of the top in its up position does not necessarily mean the frame is the same. Sure, the shape can be the same, but the manner in which the frame breaks down can be radically different.

I didn't compare the frame pieces because the $1100 for the top was enough to make me forget about it for the moment. My dealership would not sell just the window part of the roof.

Temin
Granted I haven't seen the new top up close, but it doesn't look all that different. Check the animation out. The breakdown looks the same as well.

Your dealer might not sell the window to you, but it is for sale. If there is a separate part number, it is for sale. They can get just the plastic part of the plastic window. The glass wouldn't be any different.

My rear window has been screwed up since I got the car. The dealer I bought my car from had the top down. It scratched the hell out of the window before I put the Muz Mat into action. I've waited for almost two years for a glass rear window. It can be done...it's just a matter of time and money.
Old 11-06-2001, 11:01 AM

That's the thing. There wasn't a separate part number for just the glass. If there was, my parts manager didn't have it on the sheet. The entire parts list came up on a single query for the roof.

Does anyone know differently?

Temin
Old 11-06-2001, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by lane
Are you kidding? At $300 you couldn't keep up with demand!
Yah ... what he said ...

Have fun,
Derek
Old 11-06-2001, 12:19 PM

Received 5,746 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Originally posted by nova s2k

Yah ... what he said ...

Have fun,
Derek
Yah ... dido ... and if you need any more encouragement, known sales to date (that I'm aware of and I'm sure there are more of '00 and '01 models) is 31,605. By now a few are in da junk yard and a few folks wanted to keep it original at all costs would reject it but then there's the other 90% who would jump at it. So there you go = $28,445 in business just waiting.
Old 11-06-2001, 01:17 PM

I'll buy all the kits for $350.00. That is $50.00 more than you want for them. I am sure that I could sell them for $400-$500 with no problem.
Old 11-07-2001, 08:08 PM

i asked several atlanta dealerships, they couldnt tell me.

so this 150$ kit is a Honda part?!?
Old 11-07-2001, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by sirtom123
i asked several atlanta dealerships, they couldnt tell me.

so this 150$ kit is a Honda part?!?
I don't think the kit exists yet, Honda or aftermarket. We should probably give the aftermarket a few months to come up with something. It took them a year for the supercharger.
Old 11-08-2001, 04:29 AM

I've spoken to 15-20 different people from American Honda as well as from local dealerships in the NJ area.

As of right now, there is NO WAY of installing the new top, unless you change the ENTIRE top.....frame and all. According to my dealership, the part numbers for the top/frame are all different (which means the tops are not interchangeable.)

This would cost in the range of $3,000 to $5,000+.

American Honda(800-999-1009) also told me that I should wait til March or April because they expect something to come out that "may" be able to be used to retrofit the 2002 top.

Who knows...

Quick Reply: Please help.....Convertible top question