S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Please help.....Convertible top question

Old 11-01-2001, 06:21 PM
Zot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, I am curious now. What has changed in the window well to prevent easy conversion of pre 2002 autos from getting tops with glass? Is the window well that different? or the entire structure of the top? I have looked at several 2002 models and I cant see the difference from mine.

I mean Honda is saying that only 2002 can have glass? Where are all the differences?

Thanks,

Zot
Old 11-01-2001, 07:34 PM

From what I understood after speaking with American Honda and the dealership where I purchased my car, the 2002 top can be installed on earlier models.

Its going to require a "kit" though. From what they told me, the kit is going to run $150 or so.

Well worth it... (if they're right...)
Old 11-03-2001, 01:00 PM

Here is a thought. What if all owners started to raise hell about the plastic and a 50/50 offer were struck up for the glass retro. fix, don't you think all concerned parties would be satisfied? Honda could get out from under a major complaint, and owners would feel that Honda was doing the right thing. What do you think?
Old 11-03-2001, 03:51 PM

Received 5,746 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Bud, this is a reply from a Honda Engineer on Oct 9th. Since your in need of a immediate reply, I would suggest you send him a PM. His been out of the country and just returned. If you learn anything, fill us all in. Thanks.

"Sorry to disappoint you, you are wrong. The complete top and frame must be replaced if you want to install the OE new glass rear window. The glass is larger than half of the vinyl. It actually doesn't seem much smaller when driving.

The frame does fold a little differently and the glass sits in the rear tray at an angle, not flat like the folding vinyl window.

We don't have part numbers or $$ yet, that is why I have put off posting on this issue.

Stay tuned,

Woodwork"
Old 11-04-2001, 09:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I can confirm that the '02 top folds differently than the '00-01 top. Basically, the rear panel folds at the top on the earlier models, and at the bottom on the later models, wherein the glass window "falls" into the well and sits at an angle (forward higher than rear) therein.

So, It'll need an entirely new mechanism...ie, expensive

But, there seems to be no reason that an '02 top could not be fitted to an '00 or '01 car, although some type of adaption kit may be needed to position mounting holes, etc.
Old 11-05-2001, 03:09 AM

My parts/service manager and I looked over the parts lists for a 2001 and a 2002 top. They looked the same, but a lot of the parts numbers/IDs were different. In any case, the top itself was $1100 and the arms and support beams were over $1200. This did not include any of the parts required to actually attach the top and arms to the car. Pretty f'ed up if you ask me.

My dealer might be on crack, they might not be. I was hoping someone else would ask their dealer to do a comparo on parts and pricing.

Temin
Old 11-05-2001, 05:11 AM

I have a copy of and have looked at the parts list at length. I can go back and double check, but...

Almost all the frame pieces are the same.

If you go back and look at your top, the only reason the plastic window folds is because it is flimsy. Were you to have a solid window that was the right height (i.e. shorter) and in the right position, it would fold right into the well without a problem. Curvature would probably be an issue, too, since there is little room to work with (it would need to be almost flat).

The majority of the difference in the hoop/structure of the top are due to different fasteners and the different latches. From the parts catalog, it would appear you could swap the cloth/glass with minimal other parts needed (some fasteners). I'll take a closer look at it tonite, but my analysis was that the top would swap fine.

Any dealer or even engineer who didn't specifically work on the top would likely look at the parts list and say it wouldn't swap. Keep in mind that any of these people wouldn't be interested in having to figure out 100% of the parts you would need, and wouldn't tolerate having to drill or do anything else that the average person probably wouldn't mind.

I've been considering making a custom rear window. A "kit" would probably run in the $300-$400 range for glass like the 2002's with a defroster. Would more than a couple people be interested?
Old 11-05-2001, 06:56 PM

Are you kidding? At $300 you couldn't keep up with demand!

Put me down for one.
Old 11-05-2001, 07:41 PM

OK.....I finally have my answer.

To replace the existing top with the new 2002 top it would be incredibly expensive. Around $5,000.

Not worth it.

The top is in fact different (weight, construction and motor) to change the window would be a huge undertaking.

So it looks like I'll be keeping the plastic window in the new top I'm having installed.

At least it's free.

Old 11-05-2001, 07:48 PM

Received 5,746 Likes on 3,385 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bud Murphy
[B]OK.....I finally have my answer.

To replace the existing top with the new 2002 top it would be incredibly expensive.

Quick Reply: Please help.....Convertible top question