S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Please help.....Convertible top question

Old 10-29-2001, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help.....Convertible top question

OK....here's my question. I recently had a problem with a nationwide paintless dent repair company. They did a terrible job on my ding.......and at the same time, they screwed up my convertible top.

To make an incredibly long story short, they are REPLACING THE ENTIRE TOP as well as the rear panel of my car.

Here's the issue. I've read the many threads here that the only way I'll be able to have a glass rear window installed is if I replace the whole top. Is that true?? Can the 2002 convertble top be installed on my 2001 S2000??

I called American Honda, and (hopefully) they're going to get back to me tomorrow.

Can anyone help me on this?? Time is of the essence...

Thanks -

Bud Murphy
Old 10-29-2001, 05:14 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since no one has tried it yet, I doubt anybody here can give you a clear cut answer. We know you can't retrofit just the glass from a 02 to a 01 or 00. Replacing an entire top though is a mystery. Who knows if the motors are different for the added weight (can't be to much difference though). If the lining is different? Let us know what you find out.
Old 10-29-2001, 05:46 PM

Don't hold your breath waiting for Honda to call back. I've called twice in the last 10 days on this very topic and got no reply either time. The second lady had no record of my first call. They know the plastic window is a big problem and is not durable.

On the other hand, if every S2k owner calls honda and complains, maybe we could get somewhere. How about instead of group buy for november, we have a group call and flood honda with the glass window question.
Old 10-29-2001, 06:20 PM

I'll find out tomorrow what's going on with my new top. In the meantime, let's show Honda that we're concerned with this less desirable rear window.
Old 10-30-2001, 02:23 PM

Actually got a call from Honda who said that at this time only the 2002 model could have glass. However, she told me that it was an option for 2002. I thought it was standard on the 2002. Maybe she doesn't really know. Any 2002 S2000 owners know if it's truly just an option.
Old 10-30-2001, 03:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is standard for the '02's. But fitting glass where the existing plastic is will not work until Honda releases a retrofit kit so that glass windows can fit and be managed by the automatic top.
Old 10-31-2001, 04:10 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Schatten
[B]it is standard for the '02's.
Old 10-31-2001, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tcampbel1965
[B]I retro kit should be easy.
Old 11-01-2001, 03:31 AM

Originally posted by lane

Just figured this out last night...I think! The window seems to fold only one time, and not tight (thus the option of a tube to prevent creasing the plastic window).

From my examinations it would seem that if the glass window is on the lower part of the top (ie, matches lower portion of plastic window) then the retro fit should be easy (as the plastic window folds at the top).
Not in my experience! My plastic window folds in two places - about 3 inches up from the bottom and about 2 inches down from the top.
Old 11-01-2001, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went and looked at mine again. I have two "crease" marks, about where you said. But, only the upper one is from folding, the lower one is from the rear bar rubbing against the plastic window. I slowly lowered my top, about 1/10 of the way at a time and examined how it was folding with each step, and mine definately only folds once.

But, the bar on the lower portion of the window could be a problem w/a glass window if it went that low. From the looks of it the glass window is basically in between the fold and this bar. I'll examine an '02 top this weekend for comparison purposes

Damn, now I need to make a new bar cover so that it protects the lower portion of the outer window from getting scratched!

Quick Reply: Please help.....Convertible top question