S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Please Help - Car Won't Start

Old 05-09-2009, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help - Car Won't Start

Hello,

I was wondering if someone maybe able to help me out. I went out to start my car (S2000 MY2000) about a week ago, but it wouldn't start. I have confirmed that it is not the battery, the spark plugs are firing, and the fuel pump appears to be working. I am hoping somebody could help me troubleshoot - what else could it be? The two things I think it may be related to are - I just installed a powered subwoofer in the car and it did not start after it rained outside for a couple day (I have an AEM CAI). When I tried to start it, the engine sounded like it almost started, rough idled for 1 or 2 seconds then died. After that it does not start at all. Any of your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old 05-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you tried to start it, did the motor turn over or did the starter just make a ticking sound or absolutely nothing happens when you press the start button?

Couple of possibilities:

The amp may have blown a fuse. Check the fuses in the engine bay (not the ones under the dash).

You hydrolocked your motor (we'll hope it is not that). Did you have the drain holes plugged so that the rain wouldn't drip into the aem filter? Or did you install a filter umbrella when you installed the intake?

Anyway answer the questions and that might give some more clues to help you.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:36 PM

+1 to the fuse suggestion. I've had that happen on other cars and unfortunately it was the last thing I checked. Wish I could have back all the money I'd spent troubleshooting before figuring out the problem was a simple fuse!
Old 05-09-2009, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the tips for things to check for as to why my car won't start. To provide some more information, the car did turn when I tried to start it and even when I tried today it still turns over. I did not think it was my battery, but thought I would bring it into Autozone just to doublecheck, and to my surprise they tested it and told me it was drained and recharged it for me. I thought the battery was fine because my stereo, subwoofer, lights, etc. seemed to work fine.

I took your guys advice and checked the fuses, but none of them appeared to be blown. There was one fuse in the main fuse box that had some cruddy, jelly substance on it. This fuse is not labeled in driver's manual. It is between fuse # 24 (Battery) and fuse #25 (IG1 Main). It has wires going into it. Does anyone know what the function of this fuse is? Also is it suppose to have cruddy, jelly stuff on it? I took a picture of it but haven't yet figured out how to upload photos on this website?

As to hydrolock, I don't think it is because I have had water in my engine before, but luckily was able to get it out. I took out the spark plugs today and cranked the engine but did not see any water spurting out. Also checked the oil and it did not seem watery.

Any other thoughts of things to check for? Could it be my alternator?
Old 05-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad it was something as easy as the battery. More than likely it was the new amp. Be sure you wired it to power that is switched on/off with the key. If you are powering it at the battery or a constant power source then the amp will drain your battery quick.

BTW...how old is the battery?
Old 05-10-2009, 08:47 AM

The battery is a little over a year old. I did wire the amp so that it is switched on and off with the key. Any idea about about the fuse between fuse # 24 (Battery) and fuse #25 and its purpose and jelly substance on it?

thanks
Old 05-10-2009, 09:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Disconnect all your work and try that eliminate that first.

Jelly on battery, you mean grease on the terminals?
Old 05-10-2009, 10:46 AM

No, not on the battery terminal, but on the fuse (not sure correct term because because wires plug into this "fuse" in the main fuse box between fuse #24 and fuse #25. It's not grease, it looks like some sort of yellow discharge. This is a link to pics of the fuse box: http://picasaweb.google.com/laotongea/S2000Fuses#