S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Please help Brake problems

Old 03-23-2005, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh ok, my fluid wasnt in bad shape at all. I just changed it to the blue stuff. Pedal feels great.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my brake pedal doesn't drop to the floor while braking it is just soft at the top. could it be because i only installed the rear lines. i'm gonna put my stock lines back on and see if it changes anything. If for some reason it it the seals on the master cylinder i guess i'll have to take it to honda and bend over. thanks.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:54 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by 00SpaYellow,Mar 24 2005, 07:33 AM
my brake pedal doesn't drop to the floor while braking it is just soft at the top.
Mine feels like this also but I don't have SS lines. Anyone have any insight on this? I have been running ATE super blue and cobalt gt-sport pads at the track or OEM on the street for the past year. Planning to do another bleed in the near future.

Karim
Old 03-24-2005, 05:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

my brake pedal doesn't drop to the floor while braking it is just soft at the top. could it be because i only installed the rear lines. i'm gonna put my stock lines back on and see if it changes anything. If for some reason it it the seals on the master cylinder i guess i'll have to take it to honda and bend over. thanks.
I have a few thoughts about your braking degradation...but the specifics of your SS install are not known:

1) Pull your brake pads and make sure no brake fluid came in contact during the SS install. If you got brake fluid on the pads....your done...replace pads.

2) Did you replace the banjo bolt washers...the interface between the SS lines and the caliper? If not your done....replace washers.

3) Did you change your pads at the same time as the SS install? The piston may not be seated properly. Check this even if you did not change pads disturbed caliper for some reason. The pin on the pads must seat in the X-grooves of the cylinder....your done...align the pads.

SS lines are about the bet brake upgrade you can do and if done properly will result in a VERY positive feel...period!

Utah

P.S. Mikegarrison....you need to work on your brakes!
Old 03-24-2005, 07:59 PM

the kit came with new washers and i didn't touch the pads, i installed a stoptech kit in my buddies celica and we had no problems. I'm really lost and i hope i get this solved this weekend. thanks for the help everyone and if anyone has any other advise to offer i'm open for it.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't have to bend over. To check the master cyl just do this, as your coming to a stop apply moderate pressure to the pedal and see if the pedal fades to the floor, do not lift off the pedal just keep applying brake pressure, don't lift or apply more pressure just keep the same pressure. Do this cold and hot brakes. I call this granny braking, just apply enough pressure to the pedal to stop and see if the pedal fades. Just think like a old lady does that you see driving around when see stops. If the pedal fades you know it is a bad master cylinder.

You didn't install new pads did you? If you did you need time for them to break in, this will cause funky pedal feel also. If you didn't machine rotors, this sometimes will never feel right.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:07 AM

i put the stock lines back on and got the same problem after bleeding the lines many times and getting no air at all. I took the car to honda and they said i needed new pads. I'm letting them do the pads because if the brakes still aren't fixed then its still their problem. If it is the master cylinder then its under warranty so i guess i'll find out tomorrow. If it is the pads then i'm gonna kick myself in the ass because i could have done that myself. I'll let you know what the turnout is thanks for your help.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:31 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by KrazyKarim,Mar 24 2005, 04:54 PM
Mine feels like this also but I don't have SS lines. Anyone have any insight on this? I have been running ATE super blue and cobalt gt-sport pads at the track or OEM on the street for the past year. Planning to do another bleed in the near future.

Karim
Just wanted to update about my situation. Flushed he system out with new fluid and the brakes feel awesome again