S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Please educate me on A'PEXi V-AFC

Old 11-26-2001, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please educate me on A'PEXi V-AFC

All I know about this is that it looks like a little space age box, it's a piggy back computer for the car's computer system and there's no convenient place to mount it in the S.

What advantages come form this hi-tec little v-tec device, and are they worth the $350 and time to fit?

GriffinDodd
Old 11-26-2001, 09:39 PM

Also - do you need a masters degree in engineering and fuel kinetics to even contemplate using one of these things effectively, or is it a matter of set it up once and then just admire the pretty lights on the box therafter.

My car is an everyday driver and I don't even autoX it, I've just heard rumblings about being able to tweek the ecu settings to ensure better power at lower rpm.

Fanks
Old 11-26-2001, 10:20 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by griffindodd
[B]Also - do you need a masters degree in engineering and fuel kinetics to even contemplate using one of these things effectively, or is it a matter of set it up once and then just admire the pretty lights on the box therafter.

My car is an everyday driver and I don't even autoX it, I've just heard rumblings about being able to tweek the ecu settings to ensure better power at lower rpm.

Fanks
Old 11-26-2001, 10:32 PM
Former Moderator

Originally posted by RT

You might get a kick out of this old, locked thread
Oh my god. Here we go again. Take it from me buddy, you don't want to read that thread.
Old 11-27-2001, 04:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It allows you to "correct" your a/f ratio to what actually makes power. Stock, you won't buy much (<10HP) as the a/f ratio is relatively "accurate". When modified (i/h/e or FI) it can do a lot. Minor changes in the way air flows through the motor throws the ECU for a loop in terms of the airflow it sees.

There was a guy down in FL byt the name of Bottle who ran Titan motorsports- he used to advertise on groupbuycenter.com. I bought my AFC from him for $280, shipped. It was new and he was legit, got the thing to me quick. I'd do it again, and recommend him. PM for an email/URL if you can't find him on the web.

It's worth every penny of it, even if you have to zip tie it up under the dash.
Old 11-27-2001, 08:36 AM

DAMN!!!!!!!

No I don't want to read that old thread, sounds like a train spotters and astronomers convention (just jealous because it all seems way above my head).

Well you've answered my question enough at the moment, I'm not going to be making any changes to the engine for a while as the car is leased and I know also that Honda won't touch it if you've even so much as changed the oil cap. The V-AFC sounded okay as I could RIP it in an emergency, but for 10hp I'm not sure about the cash, I'd rather spend it on a nice shiney front lip. But who knows, if I happen to have money floating around after I have done the mods you see below, then hey, what the hell.

Tamed G
Old 11-27-2001, 10:55 AM

The V-AFC is well worth the money. I don't think you can find anything else for this car that yields the bang for buck performance gains that a V-AFC does. You can lower VTEC to 5,600 RPM's which will smooth out the transition and give you a few hundred more RPM's of VTEC. In addition to which, every S2000 that I've seen thus far is EXTREMELY rich on the big end and can use some tuning. I don't think the install is that difficult but you have to splice into your ECU wiring and I wouldn't imagine there's much benefit without dyno tuning.
Old 11-30-2001, 12:25 PM

Jeez!!!! I read that old (locked) thread. I thought I was the most immature on this board. Glad to see that I'm at least third on the list.
Old 12-01-2001, 03:14 PM

That thread should not have been locked, it should have been SHOT! What the hell were these guys thinking? lol

Leave it up to the pinheads buying S2K's to argue over negative values...lol, now, lets argue about what they were arguing about...lol.

Cheers was it?

haha

Andrew
Old 12-01-2001, 08:17 PM

MARCUCCI, hey bro, to let you know, Bottle doesn't run Titan. His real name is Bataal and his brother Nero runs and owns Titan. Bottle just works for him, but he is definately considered an equal in the office, just not technically since everything's in Neros name (that I know of). griffindod, if you want help with it, Titan will help you out and they have great service. You can go to their site at http://www.titanmotorsports.com/ or you can email Nero at info@titanmotorsports.com
I highly recommend them for ANYTHING at all, they are very helpfull and treat ANY customer equally. I've seen it, I'm not even a customer, I just happened to meet Nero and shoot the shit with him every once and a while. I've seen him handle customers, he treats civic owners with the same respect he treats his high end customers like danny (look at his car in their owners gallery section, its a supra), he treats me with respect and I'm not even a customer, just a friend that's stuck working on friends cars. Since I got my certification and a new IT job, that will be changing REAL soon though, and I'll say personally, no one on this planet is going under my hood but Titan, they are absolutely determined to engrave their name, and that's done by quality service, which they DEFINATELY have.