S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Play where the CV goes into the diff.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Play where the CV goes into the diff.

2002 S2000 w/ 56k miles.

I was getting some rear vibrations from the drivers side up to about 40mph and then after about 70mph. Replaced rear tires and tried different wheels/tires; same issue.

I checked the CV axle on the drivers side and it seemed to have some play in it...without researching it any further I purchased a new drivers side cv axle and replaced it. The problem isnt as apparent but its still there.

While I was replacing the CV axle I noticed that the part it bolts to that goes into the diff is what has the play, you can kinda wiggle it around.

My question, what could the problem be? Is there a bearing/clip/retainer that the CV axle adapter thing uses inside the diff?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:02 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The output shafts are held inside the diff with a large "circlip" on each one. This circlip resides in a groove at the end of the cylinder deep inside the LSD. Normally, you can pull and push the output shaft in and out about 1/16". You should have replaced the 1/2 shafts in pairs.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:18 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

Does the vibration occur under accel only? does it quit under decel?

If that's the case it's worn/pitted inner CV joints. Time to go after the right axle since the left one is new.

You will normally have some axial and lateral play at the inner CV joints. The only way to really inspect them is to remove the axles and pull the boots to inspect the inner CV joint where the tripod's rollers ride. Pitted inner CV = vibration under accel only.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:42 PM

[QUOTE=xviper,Jul 20 2006, 07:02 PM] The output shafts are held inside the diff with a large "circlip" on each one. This circlip resides in a groove at the end of the cylinder deep inside the LSD.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:45 PM

[QUOTE=Slows2k,Jul 20 2006, 07:18 PM] Does the vibration occur under accel only? does it quit under decel?

If that's the case it's worn/pitted inner CV joints.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:46 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is a look inside.
This is where output shaft goes in.
The groove in the splined ring in the middle of the Torsen is where the circlip goes.
You can see one of the Torsen roller bearings too, but the ring with the oiler hole is NOT the inner bearing ring.
There is rotational difference possible between them (thats how the Torsen works) and that is why there is an oiler hole.
If you have excessive play there.... not good IMO
When you say "wiggle around", do you mean up and down towards the ground or back and forth towards the diff?
Towards the ground = not ok.
Towards the diff = ok as xviper allready mentioned
The seal wont prevent play in any direction, it's soft rubber.
There are no other roller bearings supporting the outpus shafts.
(In fact, the output shafts are not really supported by ball/roller bearings at all, they are supported by the Torsen via that ring with the oiler hole. That is a steel-on-steel "bearing" and needs (a lot off) oil)

Talking about oil : when was it last changed?
What oil is in there now?

Good luck
Let us know what you find.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:43 AM

the play is up and down...if there is any in and out play then its minimal and I didn't note it.
The diff fluid was changed about 500 miles ago (problem was still existant then too) with mobil 1 75-90.

I'm guessing I might have a rear diff rebuild on my plate?
Old 07-21-2006, 07:05 AM

Well...
To make that call you would have to take the diff apart.

Making the call by just thinking outloud:
If the output shafts are worn where they run through the Torsen (the ring with the oiler hole) and the Torsen itself is not worn there you "just" need two new output shafts.
If the Torsen is worn too there you need a new Torsen as well.
If the two Torsen bearings are worn you may also have more play between the ring and pinion, that may result in a BOOM!

Is your car lowered?
Wider wheels?
Just asking
Old 07-21-2006, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Jul 20 2006, 07:18 PM
Does the vibration occur under accel only? does it quit under decel?

If that's the case it's worn/pitted inner CV joints. Time to go after the right axle since the left one is new.

You will normally have some axial and lateral play at the inner CV joints. The only way to really inspect them is to remove the axles and pull the boots to inspect the inner CV joint where the tripod's rollers ride. Pitted inner CV = vibration under accel only.
can it be fixed if you buy brand new axles both sides? or any dyi for changing cv joints?
Old 07-21-2006, 07:21 AM

Sorry for all the posts...
(I am honestly NOT trying to raise my PPD )

Maybe, just maybe this is oil LEVEL related.

As you can see here the filler / level hole (E) is @ about output shaft level.
A low oil level could be a problem when the ring gear is splashing oil around everywhere making the level drop below output shaft level => your precious oiler hole (and the oiler groove in the output shaft, lets NOT forget that one) has no oil.
Metal on metal contact => wear.

Quick Reply: Play where the CV goes into the diff.