S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Platinum vapour injection??

Old 12-19-2002, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Platinum vapour injection??

Anyone tried a PVI (platinum vapor injection) system on their S2000? This system (http://www.pvitech.com/pvi/pvi-gasoline.html) injects a platinum vapor to improve combustion efficiency (kinda like a catalytic converter), thus increasing power and fuel efficiency.

Alltho I was skeptical, I put one on my gas-guzzling 91' pathfinder it did actually increase my fuel efficiency by at least 10%. I haven't been able to dyno it tho, to see if i get more peak power, I assume this is the case tho.

Could this be a cheap way to get more power out of an S2000? Or is the engine already efficient enough that it would be pointless?

Jonathan Colvin

blue s2000 2002 w. no mods.
Old 12-19-2002, 04:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh Jesus, not another "tornadoe"...if you notice, it suggests changing the timing and leaning out the system when you've installed it. Well sure, leaning out a system will use less gas, thereby giving you better gas mileage
Old 12-19-2002, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My ChemE wife thinks it will fly, that it should act as a catalyst to help complete combustion and result in a more complete burn and more power. I think the key is, though, that the proper amount is used and that it really does act as advertised, and not just drain your pocketbook.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaning out the system is not necessary. I didn't do that on my pathfinder, and still got a 10% fuel efficiency increase.

JC
Old 12-19-2002, 10:48 AM

marcucci,

I would tend to agree, an all counts. Can your wife give us an off-the-cuff idea of how much platinum, etc. is need per cc of gas to be even mildly useful? Those kinds of calculations are getting out of my area. This system assumes there will be enough of the metals picked up in the vapor of a very slow and cool airstream...1 part per billions wouldn't surprise me here as being the number of molecules actually transferred using this method.
Old 12-19-2002, 12:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

"PVI" was featured in an episode of "Market Place", a CBC consumer report program last year. This company was under investigation by Consumer and Corporate Affairs and charges were about to be laid on the company for selling a product that had no solid proof of its efficacy. I don't know at what stage this investigation is at. It was implied that any benefits of this process was purely coincidental. Most users found no benefits what-so-ever except they were walking around with much lighter wallets.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, but she says she'd have to get paid (i.e. do work) for that answer.

I asked about dumping the solution into the tank (a-la gasoline additive) and she said that the only issue would be settling and getting a proper mix ratio most of the time.

Hmmm... perhaps we are talking about the "Tornado" here?

The effectiveness of the idea is probably limited to a lot of factors, one being that on engines that have rather poor combustion (for whatever reason) or that run rich are more suscpetible to this working (or being noticed). My guess is that it's one of those "Good ideas... but does it *really* work?"
Old 12-19-2002, 03:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Would the additive not clog the catalytic converter over time?
Old 12-19-2002, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by marcucci
The effectiveness of the idea is probably limited to a lot of factors, one being that on engines that have rather poor combustion (for whatever reason) or that run rich are more suscpetible to this working (or being noticed). My guess is that it's one of those "Good ideas... but does it *really* work?"
Which is part of my reason for noting in their instructions it says they "suggest" changing the timing and leaning out the mixture. That's like me selling someone a kitchen magnet to stick under their hood, but I also tell them if they lean out their engine they'll get better gas mileage with my widget...duh!
Old 12-19-2002, 09:03 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally posted by marcucci
My ChemE wife thinks it will fly, that it should act as a catalyst to help complete combustion and result in a more complete burn and more power. I think the key is, though, that the proper amount is used and that it really does act as advertised, and not just drain your pocketbook.
How would it do this? I thought platinum was a non-reactive metal. Would it actually bond with some of the chemicals in the gasoline/air?

Quick Reply: Platinum vapour injection??