S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Plan for devleopment of high-performance, high-strength differential

Old 01-01-2004, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet someone could sell a lot of diff covers that offer additional Comptech support like the link mentioned earlier "Rear End Girdles" http://www.taperformance.com/rearend.htm
Old 01-01-2004, 10:10 PM

Just out of curiosity:

If I was able to produce a new differential that used all the stock internals but was at least 50% stronger and considerably lighter, how many of you would be interested.

Figure price would be around $500.00

Obviously everything would be tested independently and assured that it would work b4 making it avail for sale.

Feedback?
Old 01-01-2004, 10:26 PM

i would be interested
Old 01-01-2004, 10:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If it was atleast 50% stronger and also yield weight reduction, I'd seriously be all over it. I'm tired of babying the car due to rear-end weakness. What about final gear option? If you could make a new diff with final gear choices, I'd be even more interested. PLEASE keep us posted.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by fly_S2K
If it was atleast 50% stronger and also yield weight reduction, I'd seriously be all over it. I'm tired of babying the car due to rear-end weakness. What about final gear option? If you could make a new diff with final gear choices, I'd be even more interested. PLEASE keep us posted.

<MY> particular project would have nothing to do with the internals of the diff.

It would basically JUST provide you with a different case. That's it. It would be completely up to you to run your gearing or LSD, or whatever. The key here would be that the parts are interchangeable. You take your diff oout, swap all the parts over and install it back in the car.

Again, this just an idea. I don't k now if I'll be able to go through with it because of costs, of course. If there are enough people interested, it could become viable.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:47 PM

Understandable...
Old 01-01-2004, 10:49 PM

If this option existed, would you be interested?
Old 01-01-2004, 11:08 PM

I am more than interested, I will buy whatever it takes to help strength this weak link area!
I currently have another 4.77 gear, same Comptech Diff reinforced housing and a new ATS 1.5 way carbon going in next week.
I'm trying to figure out a way to hold it all together.
Is the problem because of shock from clutch dumps? Maybe a BMW "Guibo" could help.
Is the problem because output shafts flexing the end caps out of alignment causing the ring gear to break? Maybe are new rear diff cover with a couple extra contact points to add extra support like "Rear End Girdles".
Is the problem the mounting of the diff? Maybe it's mounting requires additional support by replacing rubber bushings.
Not to mention the driver side half shaft could be the next thing let go.
I sure would like to have confidence knowing I could drive my car to a event, do a couple of burnouts and get back home in again.

Next purchase: Spoons Diff Mount Set, Drive Shafts and Propeller Shaft.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:38 AM

If you guys can come up with a diff (whatever the component is) that is garanteed to be atleast 50% stronger then the stock one, I'd be interested if the price was right. I have no clue as to why our diff's fail, but you guys do what you guys have to do as long as it's proven to be stronger and I'm in.
I've only dumped the clutch a few times in the car's life, and I don't like to abuse that way, I'd just like to know that if I do dump the clutch I won't have to take a ride in a tow truck home.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:18 AM

The diffs fail because of a multitude of reasons.

first, it was designed for a Miata with 140hp

second, it's made out of cast iron which is very weak and extremely heavy

and third, the design for the carrier mount sucks.

All those things can be improved on and I have had some engineers look at our case already.

I would really like to come out with something, but I would need about 20 people to make it work.

Quick Reply: Plan for devleopment of high-performance, high-strength differential