S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Pictures of Metal in My Oil Pan...

Old 05-05-2012, 04:58 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
I think the black shavings are just constipation from your hybrid hamster.

[img]webkit-fake-url://915E9A40-7614-48AE-BABD-972E1A229B22/typermotorpic.jpg[/img]
Yeah I could use one of those Type R hamster re-build kits right about now.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've discovered very simular copper shavings in my pan. I've pullled apart the motor top to bottom at this point and cannot find where they could have originated from. I have slight rod bearing wear and zero main bearing damage. Zero damage on the top end. Zero cylinder wall damage. I cannot find anything that would have copper coloured shavings taken out of it. The last place I can think of would be my mishimoto oil cooler. So my question to you is; are you running an aftermarket oil cooler?
Old 05-12-2012, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by UGotsTaBTrippin
I've discovered very simular copper shavings in my pan. I've pullled apart the motor top to bottom at this point and cannot find where they could have originated from. I have slight rod bearing wear and zero main bearing damage. Zero damage on the top end. Zero cylinder wall damage. I cannot find anything that would have copper coloured shavings taken out of it. The last place I can think of would be my mishimoto oil cooler. So my question to you is; are you running an aftermarket oil cooler?
No I don't have an oil cooler. What do your thrust washers look like ?. Copper shavings can only be from the bearings or thrust washers as far as I know. My rod bearings were fine, I haven't opened up the mains yet, just got the engine pulled today. Check your vtec solenoid screen if you can, it may have some metal in it too.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by UGotsTaBTrippin' timestamp='1336856573' post='21692948
No I don't have an oil cooler. What do your thrust washers look like ?. Copper shavings can only be from the bearings or thrust washers as far as I know. My rod bearings were fine, I haven't opened up the mains yet, just got the engine pulled today. Check your vtec solenoid screen if you can, it may have some metal in it too.
One thrust washer has some wear however no copper colour is visible on the washer. The other apears to be in perfect condition. I was under that same impression. Although not much was there none of my rod bearings have enough damage to produce the amount/size of metal that was in the bottom of my pan, nor did they get into the layer of copper material. The mains are still in MINT condition. Checked the VTEC; zero metal in the screen.

I was lucky in that I didn't allow the issue to get too far. I immediatly stoped driving the car when I heard what I believed to be piston slap. I pulled the oil pan the following day and discoverd the copper shavings.

I'm just blown away by the fact that I cannot find where the shavings originated from. I would expect to see simular sized pieces missing from some part of the motor or bearings.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was this ever resolved and were there pictures of the the thrust washers from the pulled engine?
Old 04-30-2015, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MattyH
Was this ever resolved and were there pictures of the the thrust washers from the pulled engine?
OP zeroptzero now goes by JFUSION, shoot him a PM, or maybe he'll post in here. To my knowledge he's running a healthy motor now, if that's what you're asking. He has a LOT of data/research and pictures regarding what happened to his engine so he may have those pictures for you.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:32 PM

Actually my previous screen name was Jfusion, it is now zeroptzero (to match my screen name on s2kca.com).

The main bearings failed, and the cylinder walls were scored, so the motor was pooched. I picked up a used ap1 motor and had it freshened up with all new bearings, seals, piston rings, thrust washers, new ap2 oil pump, and Mugen oil pan. So far so good on the newer motor, thanks to Jordanksartell in Tennesee, who helped me immensely

My initial guess was that the motor was run low on oil sometime in it's past, quite often that damage manifests itself later down the road unexpectedly.

But in talking to Jordanksartell (one of the top S2000 mechanics anywhere) he stated that he has seen similar damage caused in S2000 motors that had high fuel dilution in the motor oil. High fuel dilution can occur from a sticky/faulty injector. I often have my used motor oil analyzed, and there was one occasion where the motor oil had fuel dilution detected at a rate of 3%. That may have been the cause of my issue, though we will never really know 100%. I immediately swapped injectors and added Okada coil packs, and I have not had any fuel dilution problems since that time. I continue testing my oil looking for fuel dilution along with wear metals. Good insurance for relatively low cost.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:49 PM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

Fuel dilution can also be caused by a lazy o2 sensor causing the car to run rich.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Generally that is only under a Low Voltage signal from the O2. It essentially makes the car think there is an oxygen rich environment and dumps more fuel to try and correct it, when in reality it doesn't need any more fuel, and probably needs less.

Just had a customer lose his motor because of this very reason. Primary O2 was causing a Low Voltage code and the guy kept trying to crank it over and get the car to start and even worse kept mashing the gas pedal to try and keep it running. Needless to say, he ended up having a ton of gas flood his cylinders and wash down into the crank case. He had his Primary replaced and drove the car as normal, not draining that oil right away, and viola chewed up a bunch of bearings and developed a knock. Oh and this was on a motor with only 10,000 miles on it. :cry cry:

And to add to it, when I drained his oil after the failure, it no longer smelled like oil, it straight up smelled like I was draining gas from the engine.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:58 PM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

It can also happen when the o2 has a lot of mileage and gets covered in soot since these cars run rich from the get. It'll cause the oil to smell like gas a little bit, and it won't do damage right away but it will accelerate wear. Honda really should have included changing the primary o2 sensors at 90k miles, 75k severe driving.

Quick Reply: Pictures of Metal in My Oil Pan...