S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Pedal came back up

Old 12-08-2010, 06:08 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Pedal came back up

Well, I thought I was gonna have to replace my master and/or slave clutch cylinder. A week ago, after a very cold night where it just hit freezing (although I don't really know if that had anything to do with it), my clutch pedal suddenly had about 6 inches of play in it before engagement.

The next day I looked at the fluid, and noticed it was maybe an ounce or two low. Two days later I added some fluid, and over about 3 days the pedal came back to completely normal.

Anyone have any ideas what happened? I read one thread about another guy where the same thing happened (except the freezing night).
Old 12-08-2010, 07:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i was you I would also bleed the system after adding fluid cause you may have gotten air in it. you need a friend to pump the clutch while you open and close the bleeder screw.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:06 AM

I agree that bleeding would be good, but the system is open. Taking the top off wouldn't have gotten air in the system, right?
Old 12-08-2010, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by davidc1,Dec 8 2010, 09:06 AM
I agree that bleeding would be good, but the system is open. Taking the top off wouldn't have gotten air in the system, right?
No.What would have caused air to get into the system is being low on clutch fluid and or a leak in the system. Only way clutch fluid would be low is if someone changed out the fluid and didn't add enough or there is a leak somewhere. Likely the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder. Also ,you can gravity bleed the clutch fluid at the slave cylinder bleeder screw.Some like to bleed via pedal method.Still others use a reservoir boot and pressure bleed. Whatever works.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:56 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Check your fluid levels after one weeks use, you may still have a problem.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Robert O,Dec 8 2010, 06:53 PM
No.What would have caused air to get into the system is being low on clutch fluid and or a leak in the system. Only way clutch fluid would be low is if someone changed out the fluid and didn't add enough or there is a leak somewhere. Likely the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder. Also ,you can gravity bleed the clutch fluid at the slave cylinder bleeder screw.Some like to bleed via pedal method.Still others use a reservoir boot and pressure bleed. Whatever works.
Thanks Robert. Given that I don't have anyone to help me bleed it, I'll do the gravity bleed method. But I did a search and can't find anything in detail on that method. I've never done it before, can you give me some instruction? Thanks
Old 12-09-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by davidc1,Dec 8 2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks Robert. Given that I don't have anyone to help me bleed it, I'll do the gravity bleed method. But I did a search and can't find anything in detail on that method. I've never done it before, can you give me some instruction? Thanks
There is a bleed screw on the slave cylinder under the car.It should have a rubber cap over the bleed nipple.You'll need the proper size metric wrench to loosen and tighten it during the bleed procedure.First,remove all of the old fluid from the clutch fluid reservoir using a suction bulb.Completely wipe it clean.Then top it off to or just above the full line with clean fluid.Then using the wrench and a suitable container to bleed the clutch fluid into, remove the rubber cap and crack open the bleed screw and begin a slow drain of the fluid. Only drain enough to bring the reservoir level down to around 1/2"-1" of fluid depth before closing the bleed screw and topping off the reservoir once again.You may need to do this several times to insure that you have not only bled out all of the old contaminated fluid but also allowed any air to escape as well. Once your satisfied that you detect a clean air free flow of fluid from the bleed screw your done.Just make sure that the bleed screw is sceurely tight without overtightening it of course.

You should be able to locate the slave cylinder quite easy.It will be on the drivers side adjacent to the transmission.You'll clearly see the fluid line leading to it from the clutch master cylinder. Cheers.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:13 PM

Cool, thanks! I don't suppose there's any need to use high end or even DOT 4 fluid is there?
Old 12-09-2010, 05:19 PM

I use the Honda heavy duty DOT 3 stuff ,but that's just me. manual states that you can use DOT 3 or 4.