S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

peculiar noise coming from rear of car

Old 09-13-2009, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool
Old 09-13-2009, 06:28 PM

Left rear wheel bearing. What you described is exactly what I experienced last year. First it was a light metal on metal scraping sound under cornering. After a track day the noise was there with the same rhythm, but WAY louder.

There was not any play when the light scraping noise was there, but there was when it got louder.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:16 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

RIGHT rear wheel bearing is what it sounds like to me. When you unload the wheel in a turn (turning right) the bearing will quiet down, and when you load it (turning left) it gets louder.

You probably aren't hearing the bearing itself making noise, but instead the brake rotor scraping on the pad as it rotates through the bad area of the bearing; it is moving farther at the outer radius than the hub/bearing are closer in, and it may not be bad enough to hear the actual bearing noise currently. You are right though, it won't make the same sound as a warped rotor. I had the same thing going on at the front left corner of my car.

Try setting the proper torque on the nut back there to see if that fixes it. It would be a temporary fix, as you would eventually need to have the bearing replaced.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:16 AM

sobe - i'm a little confused by your explanation - why would the rotor scraping against the pad caused by a bad bearing be a different sound than a warped rotor....arguably the same symptom, no? same action should cause the same sound.

matt, the bearing itself can and will make the rotational metallic scraping noise once it gets pretty bad. also, it's definitely possible for the bearing to be bad enough to be sqealing and not have any noticeable free play. i don't know where in the process you are, but you can try putting some extra torque on the axle nut to see if that affects the noise at all. either way, it sounds like you need a new bearing; you can probably tell without much problem which side the noise is coming from. your hub may be fine, but depending on your mileage, it would probably be better just to replace it as well for another $100 or so.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by mattfeet,Sep 12 2009, 10:05 AM
*UPDATE*

I haven't gotten the rotors turned yet, but today I thought of something else that doesnt quite make sense for it to be a brake related issue.

1) Hitting the brakes does not make the noise quit.
2) When the car turns to the right, the noise quits.
3) When it turns to the left, it gets slightly louder.

-Matt
I had the same symptoms when my OEM brake pads were worn. You can just look at them and make sure there is pad left.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by my2ks2k,Sep 14 2009, 01:16 PM
sobe - i'm a little confused by your explanation - why would the rotor scraping against the pad caused by a bad bearing be a different sound than a warped rotor....arguably the same symptom, no? same action should cause the same sound.
Well, how I explained it does sound irrational, but it definitely is a different tone. On the front corner of my car the bearing was going out, and I couldn't feel it doing so, but I could hear something like matt is describing. Logically the first thing I think of is "hey, I just got back from driving in the mountains, maybe I warped a rotor!" so I replaced the rotors. Same noise was happening with brand new rotors. Next up I think the caliper is sticking, so I disassemble, relube the sliders, and still the same noise. It makes the noise when the bearing is loaded, doesn't when it is unloaded. I put a good bearing/hub into the knuckle and voila! The sound is gone.

I have had several sets of rotors on the car (two warped stupidly by me ) and though I can't explain it, the two sounds are similar, but different. The only thing I could see being different is the warped rotor may have internal rigidity issues changing how it sounds when scraping?
Old 09-14-2009, 12:28 PM

On another note, didn't some company make a stronger rear hub for our cars? I remember a while back that there were several failures in the racing community of the OEM hub and it was cheap enough to go with the upgraded hub than OEM...
Old 09-17-2009, 01:00 PM

[QUOTE=Sobe_Death,Sep 13 2009, 10:16 PM]RIGHT rear wheel bearing is what it sounds like to me.