S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

passenger window problem

Old 06-28-2007, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default passenger window problem

my passenger side window wont go down. i did a search and most of the topics about this problem is related to the lock button so no help for me.

the window wont go down when i put the top down or use the driver side and passenger side button
checked both fuse and no problem
any ideas where to look?

thanks for looking
Old 06-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Bad master switch, right window switch, or the regulator
Old 06-28-2007, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Jun 28 2007, 06:00 PM
Bad master switch, right window switch, or the regulator
will check thanks
Old 06-28-2007, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's the regulator (I think that's the one with motor and little worm/cable drive) and the window is stuck in the up position it may be "tricky" to change. I had to troubleshoot this on an 02 Civic. Check all the fuses, sounds like you already did. I think the one in the engine compartment fusebox would cause both windows to fail, but it would suck to miss a fuse somewhere.
If you buy an electrical part from Honda like the drivers master switch they won't take it back if there are marks on the contacts (has ever been installed). Ask your parts guy first unless you are positive when you figure it out. They may be able exchange it for the regulator like in my case. If I remember on the Civic anyway, the little master switch is more expensive than the whole motor assembly.
I had the driver's window stuck on the Civic not the passenger's. I kept studying the procedures from the S2000 manual before Helm's for the 02 Civic came in, so I know the troubleshooting procedures are almost identical.
At any rate I believe you can remove the passenger's window switch and test it for continuity in different positions with a multimeter. If I recall you can only test the connector for the master switch, not the switch itself. There are other tests which may require the use of "backprobe test lead set" (part number in the Helm's, two different sizes available through Honda) to test the switch in place.
If does end up to the regulator they come pre-greased and nicely bagged and boxed. What is worth mentiong though is that they also come pre aligned for installation. There are two bolts that hold the glass in place that must be aligned with holes in the door. This why I say it might be "tricky" if the window is stuck in the up position as it was in my case on a Civic with an even larger door. If you can't drop the window you can't unbolt the glass and remove it or the regulator. A 10mm open-end and 10mm 12pt box-end wrenches would probably be good to have on hand. Someone with really skinny/small arms would probably prove useful as well.
It occurs to me that the only time someone would need to replace a regulator would be indeed when on has failed. Why would Honda design it so you can't line up the bolts with holes for removal with a failed motor? I don't think I missed anything in the Manual (either of them).
There is also a way to test the motor without removing it in the Helm's. I think it's a few pages off from the switch testing stuff, so don't miss it.
Hopefully it's dirty contact or something. If you do go into the door you may also want to replace the plastic liner behind the door panel, costs like $7.00 and is almost more trouble to make second trip to pick one up if the original becomes badly disfigured. Here's something I didn't think to try until later, heating up the "dum dum" (irony) tape that holds the plastic liner hair dryer prior to removal.
Did I say Good Luck?

EDIT:
the window wont go down when i put the top down or use the driver side and passenger side button
That means it simply won't go down right? Does the top still go down?

One more point, It is not that difficult to remove just the switch for testing. If you know someone with an S2000 with known good switches, maybe you could swap test them that way.