S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Parking sensors

Old 08-13-2006, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Parking sensors

Someone posted this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=412874&st=0 ("Parking Sensor" by wichita, under S2000 Talk)

I responded there, but with so many of our more mechanically-capable and experienced members in this part of the forum, I thought cross-posting this wouldn't hurt.

Basically, we're (at least I am) are looking for a front + rear parking sensor system without tacky VFT/TFT LCD displays or cheap-LED displays that'll stick with "Awesome 3M adhesive tape!" onto our backview mirrors.

Here are my posts, back-to-back, so you don't have to click on the link above:

post 1
I don't know why people are so against parking sensors; it just makes life easier.

We're all great drivers in our little worlds/know our cars' length fairly well, but if installing a parking sensor will save my bumper from that one scratch I get on that night that I'm tired/mad/etc as hell and lose concentration for a second, heh, so be it.

I've also been considering getting something like this installed.
My dealership gave me something like $482 including labor for rear-only, and somewhere around $1,500 for one that includes a camera. I find both prices to be ridiculous; but I can't find anything of high-enough quality that I would be comfortable with putting in my car--at least the $482 will be original Honda and won't be made out of tacky grey plastic and cheap LEDs.

post 2
Here, I found something without the horrid displays or overcomplicated LCDs, and its not priced so badly.
http://parkingsensors.net/sc.cgi?cart_id=&..._Sensor_Systems

The only problem is: the site says that the front sensors are activated when the car is in forward drive (any gear that is non-reverse, I think?) and...here is where it gets complicated: while you are applying the brakes -- this might be a bit of a problem for our S. I'm going to email them and I'll let you know their answer.

Edit:
http://www.reversebackingsystems.com...SENSOR-DT-506/
Here's another one... what I like about this is that the front sensors are always on but they don't emit a sound--only activate the display, and the display looks like it would be easy to modify (remove bad cover) and hide somewhere. So 2 front + 4 rear sensors + LCD for $219 -- meh, not too bad.

post 3

Well, after about three hours of digging and making my way through tons of crap, I still stand by my 2 finds above.
Especially the first one -- its as simple as it gets. Seems It's almost impossible to get a front+rear parking sensor system without a tacky display or TFT LCD.

I emailed them, and will post their reponse when I get it (probably on Monday):

Dear Sir/Madam,

I'm emailing you to inquire about one of your products; specifically the "Front and Rear Parking Sensor System with 4 frontal, 4 rear sensors with no display."

It says in the specifications that "...and front sensors are activated while driving forward and braking" -- does this mean that the car would have to have an automatic transmission for the front sensors to work? I'm puzzled as to how driving forward and braking would be a feasible parking method in a car with a manual transmission.

I'm seriously considering ordering, but just need some clarity on this subject.

Thank you,

Sincerely,

brimstone
PS: It seems the $1,500 I was quoted for a camera rear-parking-sensor system is completely ridiculous, even including labor. The parts, including a 1/4" sony color camera and a 4" toshiba tft lcd, and 4 rear parking sensors would at most cost me $250 including shipping. I wonder if they're using golden screwdrivers or something at my dealership to make up for the $1,250 left after they buy the parts (which I'm sure they could buy wholesale and get for even cheaper). Sigh.

--------------------------

That's pretty much it, and probably more than enough.

I hope we can keep the "real men park without sensors" crap to a minimum
Old 08-13-2006, 08:03 AM

Looking at the first link, $120 is for 8 sensors, the controller and an old school piezo buzzer. If I were to have a system, I would prefer the buzzer to an LCD as I'd prefer not to have an LCD for parking assist in my car. From a design side perspective, you're not going to get someone to make a solution cheaper than that all said and done. By the time someone (even myself budgeting my time at grad student rates) made something like this, tested it out, packaged it and then either sent the board out or did it by hand there is no way it would be worth all that hassle to compete with that product at less than that price.

If you dont like the idea of sound from the buzzer all the time, cut one of the wires to the buzzer and place a mechanical switch inline so the circuit is only complete when you close the switch.

My question is why would you want to drill holes in your bumper to only abate the *chance* of a scratch. If it were me, I would want/do something that could be easily uninstalled so as not to have to damage my car to install something. But that's me.

Mike
Old 08-13-2006, 03:29 PM

Heh, thats an interesting way of looking at it, you might have a point.

I too prefer the buzzing to the LCD, what I meant is I enjoy the option of having the front sensors silent when I want them to be (in traffic, perhaps).
Old 08-16-2006, 06:20 AM

Got an answer

Dear brimstone,

Thanks for your inquiry.

The 8-sensor parking system with beeper will work on both
automatic and manual transmission vehicles.

Please refer to the Installation Manual below for details
and wiring:
http://www.parkingsensors.net/doc/2611-08-...r-NoDisplay.pdf

Regards,
Customer Support
HY Technologies

Anybody able to comment on the wiring or such?

It seems the front sensors keep working for 10 seconds after you let go of the brake, and thats it... I'm not sure how this would work out in bumper-to-bumper traffic... if it beeps in the first "distance level, (1.5m)" then its going to beep all through traffic.