S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Parking in gear without using the parking brake

Old 12-12-2004, 05:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Parking in gear without using the parking brake

This is a question I've been wanting to ask for years, but keep forgetting. I have always lived in relatively flat areas, so I rarely apply the parking brake when I park. I just leave the tranny in gear and shut it off.

Since there is usually some amount of slope to a parking spot, there is usually some amount of force that is going to be applied to the drivetrain until it is driven again.

Is iit bad to do that? I can't think of anything that it would hurt, considering the drivetrain is designed to handle thousands of times more force without damage.

Note: This is not a poll to see who uses the parking brake when they park. I'm sure there are many, many people that do use their parking brakes religiously because they think it is better. However, I'm directing this question to people that may have actual technical knowledge about the impact this might have on the bearings, R&P, crank, tranny, etc.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gernby,Dec 12 2004, 08:54 PM
This is a question I've been wanting to ask for years, but keep forgetting. I have always lived in relatively flat areas, so I rarely apply the parking brake when I park. I just leave the tranny in gear and shut it off.

Since there is usually some amount of slope to a parking spot, there is usually some amount of force that is going to be applied to the drivetrain until it is driven again.

Is iit bad to do that? I can't think of anything that it would hurt, considering the drivetrain is designed to handle thousands of times more force without damage.

Note: This is not a poll to see who uses the parking brake when they park. I'm sure there are many, many people that do use their parking brakes religiously because they think it is better. However, I'm directing this question to people that may have actual technical knowledge about the impact this might have on the bearings, R&P, crank, tranny, etc.
On level ground, the loads on the engine and drivetrain are static and will not really damage anything unless your car is subjected to a sudden shock ... i.e. someone hits your parked car. This is one of many good reasons to set your parking brake.
However, if your car is on a hill, the loads will be a function of the grade. The greater the grade - the greater the chance the force of gravity will overcome the only thing holding your car in place - cylinder compression and internal friction.
Another thing to consider is that since the only thing protecting your internal components from metal to metal contact is the residual oil - which drains away over time ... the greater the load ... the more internal surface to surface contact there will be.

I grew up in Colorado and got used to using my parking brake and still use it every time I park my car(s) today. It costs nothing, does not increase wear and tear considerably, prevents the cable from freezing up internally due to corrosion, takes a second to set, and gives you piece of mind.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks. The only technical reason I don't use the parking brake is because my previous cars seemed to have a problem with the cable stretching. I hated that, so i quit using it. For some reason, I like having a well adjusted parking brake cable...

When I park on any significant incline, I always use the parking brake. I figure that there is less than 100 ft-lbs of torque on my rear wheels before the incline would be enough for me to set my parking brake. If so, then that is only about 20 ft-lbs of torque on the transmission, and about 6 ft-lbs on the engine.

There has just been this thought in the back of my mind that it might cause very slight deformation of the bearings or something if it sits that way for days at a time.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On level ground I usually pull the brake up slightly, only a few clicks and usually will then put the car in gear, but not always (depends on the mood I'm in I guess ). On more of a hill, I'll crank it up a few more clicks and definitely leave it in gear. I will set the brake first and then put it in gear so that the stress is on the brake and not the tranny (unless the brake fails and I have the tranny as backup). If I'm facing down hill, I'll put it in reverse. If I'm facing up hill, in 1st gear. I don't know if that does anything, but it's just something I've always done.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by PilotKD,Dec 12 2004, 08:16 PM
On level ground I usually pull the brake up slightly, only a few clicks and usually will then put the car in gear, but not always (depends on the mood I'm in I guess ). On more of a hill, I'll crank it up a few more clicks and definitely leave it in gear. I will set the brake first and then put it in gear so that the stress is on the brake and not the tranny (unless the brake fails and I have the tranny as backup). If I'm facing down hill, I'll put it in reverse. If I'm facing up hill, in 1st gear. I don't know if that does anything, but it's just something I've always done.
that's what you should do.....
Old 12-13-2004, 07:37 AM

I do the same way, parking break first, then gear.

I did forget to do this sometimes, and one day, I was park on a slop spot in a mall's parking lot only to come back and found quater of my front end ended up under a Pathfinder, parking across the lot, with a cop and the owner waiting for me...

It was a cold day and windy, I guess the breaks cool down and reduce size greater than when I parked, so it slip off and rolled. Since then, I always use the tranny as a back up.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by RM 4 2,Dec 13 2004, 12:37 PM
It was a cold day and windy, I guess the breaks cool down and reduce size greater than when I parked, so it slip off and rolled. Since then, I always use the tranny as a back up.
Interesting point. I have read some post of the S having a weak parking brake but this makes more sense to me. Especially since many may be used to drums in back which, following this logic, would get tighter when they cool. Hmmm. (Gernby, sorry to veer off the target of your original question.)
Old 12-13-2004, 09:45 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=gernby,Dec 12 2004, 09:54 PM] Thanks.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:41 PM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

To answer....I'd say no harm done on flat ground

To add...it is a good idea to use the e-brake, because the actuators and cables will start to seize up when not used...I fail cars for inspection all the time for frozen e-brakes

I would not use the in-gear method only to hold the car on a grade..as mentioned, the only thing holding you is compression...which can bleed off, and the car will lurch (if you take out the spark plugs, the car would immediately haul ass down the hill)
Old 12-13-2004, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by PilotKD,Dec 12 2004, 10:16 PM
im curious what the significance of having in reverse while downhill and 1st uphill..im used to just putting it in first after i put on the parking brake...what does putting in reverse do for the forces on the tranny/car?

Quick Reply: Parking in gear without using the parking brake